Puffy not as a shell

yojo.3

FNG
Im sure its been asked here before. But i constantly see pictures or videos of guys using their puffy jackets as their outer layer. Has anyone played around with using it as an outer shell vs a middle layer. Currently running a sitka jetstream as my shell with base layers and just been considering getting a puffy for insulation. Also any suggestions for a brand and type of puffy. It look like sitkas kelvin lite has more insulation fill than kuiu puffy jackets. But ive also been looking at first lite as well as other hiking brads of puffy jackets. They all seem to be about in the same price range. Just want to purchase one and not have to uprgrade later.

Get a mountaineering jacket and use it as a midlayer. Hunting companies sell overpriced gear. Down as an outer layer is problematic because of durability, moisture concerns, etc.

Brendan

WKR
Whether my puffy is an outer shell or not depends on the conditions. If it's just a little more warmth, while retaining breathability, it stays as the outer layer. Real cold and windy, or if it's cold and wet, I generally run my puffy with a hard shell over the top. And, sometimes I'll be wearing something like my Jetstream, and just throw the puffy over that so it's easier to layer up and down .

Kuiu Kenai is my favorite archery season puffy, but love my Lost Park Parka for where I need something warmer, burly, and okay if it gets wet.

Puffy is a greater outlayer in more conditions than you might think. I am still a soft shell fan but some have dumped the soft shell concept in favor of a puffy and rain gear for windy conditions.

Big fan of the uncomphagre and the kelvin light. My latest kelvin light is a bit skinny in the arms but layers well.

I use my Jetstream as outer layer and I layer under as needed for weather for my base hunting method in southern OK, temps into the high 20’s this year.
I use a north face thermoball under my Jetstream. It allows me to be very comfortable into the high 20’s for static hunting. When walking to the stand it gets quite warm. It layers very easily under my Jetstream. I have XL Jetstream and the layers under do not make me feel like the stay puff marshmallow man either.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Get a mountaineering jacket and use it as a midlayer. Hunting companies sell overpriced gear. Down as an outer layer is problematic because of durability, moisture concerns, etc.
Yeah this is something id like to avoid by going with a puffy as a mid layer. avoid ruining a couple hundred dollar jacket.

Yeah this is something id like to avoid by going with a puffy as a mid layer. avoid ruining a couple hundred dollar jacket.

Yeah. But as stated above by another poster, sometimes it's just nice to throw your down jacket on if it's dry and you're on a cold glassing spot.

NYSKIER

WKR
I agree with this however I got a sikta kelvin lite at an end of season sale really cheap and I love it. I use it as both a mid layer and as an outer layer when I'm sitting down to glass. I'm a big fan I think a good puffy is worth it. Check out some hiking forums you may get good advice

I agree with this however I got a sikta kelvin lite at an end of season sale really cheap and I love it. I use it as both a mid layer and as an outer layer when I'm sitting down to glass. I'm a big fan I think a good puffy is worth it. Check out some hiking forums you may get good advice

Agreed on the glassing knob. If I’m still hunting or something where there’s greatest risk of puncture, need an outer layer over the puffy.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
I should mention that the weather here is usually well below freezing, and usually pretty windy. pretty open country. This past fall was very mild compared to the year prior with the at the warmest 10 below and constant 20 mile winds. Im finally trading up from the overly stuffed coveralls and jacket. Trying to get the best stuff i can, while keeping my range of motion high.

tdot

WKR
The most versatile system that I use is a puffy under either a hard shell or a very light soft shell that I have, with no membrane of any kind in it. I adjust the outer jacket to suit the conditions. The outer jacket boosts the temp of the puffie. So I can get away with a much thinner, compressible insulation layer.

I consider the puffy an insulation layer, rarely is it used on the outside. I want it to breath well, I dont care if it has a durable face fabric or waterproofing. That's what a shell is for.

I've built my system around each piece having a specific task, and being excelling at that task. Strangely, this seems to have resulted in a more versatile system, then a bunch of layers that all try to do a little of everything.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I like my puffies (pants and jackets) as outer layers, or next-to-outer layers. They have the greatest effect on my heat management and so are the most often donned and doffed layer. That process is just easier when they're an outer layer. Puffies also perform better when they don't have more layers outside collapsing their insulation. The only layer I like to put outside of a puffy is a waterproof shell if the weather demands (rain/snow/wind), or if needed to protect the fragile light fabric puffies get made out of (brush busting, etc.).

I'm also a fan of synthetic for vigorous outdoor pursuits. Among other reasons, tearing a synthetic puffy isn't going to dump your insulation out the hole.

Skip the hunting brands. Lots of companies are making outdoor apparel in muted/earth tones these days.

I like my puffies (pants and jackets) as outer layers, or next-to-outer layers. They have the greatest effect on my heat management and so are the most often donned and doffed layer. That process is just easier when they're an outer layer. Puffies also perform better when they don't have more layers outside collapsing their insulation. The only layer I like to put outside of a puffy is a waterproof shell if the weather demands (rain/snow/wind), or if needed to protect the fragile light fabric puffies get made out of (brush busting, etc.).

I'm also a fan of synthetic for vigorous outdoor pursuits. Among other reasons, tearing a synthetic puffy isn't going to dump your insulation out the hole.

Skip the hunting brands. Lots of companies are making outdoor apparel in muted/earth tones these days.

What synthetic puffy jackets have you had good luck with?

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
What synthetic puffy jackets have you had good luck with?
My current favorite is a 1/4 zip hooded pullover with straight-thru handwarmer pocket in front. The brand gets a lot of hate here, but the 60g Primaloft Gold insulation is the important part, and lots of other brands are making Primaloft garments.

Insulated jackets are usually pretty wind resistant but breathe poorly and aren’t so durable, so they’re fine on the outside while sitting but bad for hiking. For hiking, I’ll wear a base layer and a fleece if necessary. If it’s raining I’ll add a shell on the outside to either.

Granted I’m AZ, not an extremely cold area so YMMV