Puffy pant on a budget

Looking for a good budget option for puffy pants, but can’t find anything. I can throw a stick and hit a puffy jacket, but there’s next to nothing out there for puffy pants.
Has anyone had experience with the military primaloft pants? Do they pack well?

rcb2000

WKR
They are super warm and durable, no doubt. They also weigh 32 ounces and pack down to the size of a loaf of bread.

I myself am trying to decide if 1# is worth $150+ to me for a pair of Uncompaghre or the like.

Htm84

WKR
Like the previous response they’re warm and bulky. The surplus pants are in the green bag. In the middle are a pair of outdoor research puffy pants and a nalgene for size comparison. The outdoor research ones are awesome. Warm and pretty compact but they discontinued them. The sizing on the surplus is a little funky too. I have a large regular and should of got a medium tall I think. I usually wear a 34x34 pant for reference. The surplus ones are hard to beat for the price. I think I paid 20-30 bucks on eBay.

Attachments

• 18F953AE-486D-493A-90A6-08AB6BC28308.jpeg
    18F953AE-486D-493A-90A6-08AB6BC28308.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 38

zacattack

WKR
Not puffy but the Eddie Bauer insulated guide pros are really warm. You can normally pick them up on sale for $60 or so

Seeknelk

WKR
I like my Skre ptarmigan puffy pants. 850 down... reinforcement on knees and seat. Full zip off which is an absolute requirement I'd think.

Jbxl20

WKR
I recently picked up the black ovis puffy pants. Though I have yet to use them, I like what I see so far in them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Second on the black ovis. I’ve been happy with them. Used them for PA bear and deer season and packed them in CO last elk season.

*zap*

WKR
The military level 7 pants are bulky and not that warm imo. Not sure if that is what has been talked about or not. I do not think they have any wind proofing since that is what the level 5 does. They are very inexpensive thou and I have 3 pairs... For moderate cold and shorter times exposed to that cold the uncomphagre pant is not bad or bulky. I think the best way to go is a good down pant with a light windproof layer over it..like the L-5 military shell pant. But that may not be considered inexpensive as far as the down pants goes, the L-5 can be gotten pretty reasonably depending on the camo option that you choose. I have no issues with my WM down pant and an acu level 5 pant over the (adds wind resistance and protects the down pant).. Packs small and light, pretty warm.

M65 Pant Liners I’m eBay. Long style. Like $13-15.

If you want something a bit nicer, True Timber or. Black Ovis.

*zap*

WKR
In moderate cold if you are not sitting still the whole time you might try the L-7 pants with a larger size L-5 over it. I use that when camping and working around the camp setting up, hanging out and etc. when it is below freezing.. if I am sitting still for hours that set up does not cut it for me. It really depends on the use....to me, for the $30-$40 shipped the military L-7 & L-5 are a no brainer to own imo.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Third the Black Ovis Pants! Used in Mo late archery season and was very well pleased.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BDRam16

WKR
Wore the Black Ovis last season in WY down to about 0* windchill and they were awesome.

JordanM

FNG
I don’t know if this falls into the budget category, but the Enlightened Equipment Torrid pants look interesting. $140 and super light. It also has synthetic insulation which may be appealing based on location. I have not tried them but top and bottom set weigh as much as the BlackOvis pants.

The EB lined Guide pro pants are definitely very warm. Worn down to zero and as long as moving very comfortable.

Underarmor Ridge Reaper puffy pants can be found for cheaper than the big names on forums and ebay. not super lightweight but good to carry in a pack as a insurance policy. I have these, but have not had to pull them out of my pack yet.

Black ovis makes what looks like a kuiu pro down comp. 9 oz weight, but only 149, compared to the 259 price on the kuiu.