Puffy Pants Reviews?

JBivens

FNG
Going through the treads, I see a lot of questions and answers. Is anyone aware of a comparison review from actual hunters who have tested the Kuiu, FL, SG, Kifaru and maybe some 'terix or Patagucci military line?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have some from western mountaineering and the kifaru ones. both are good but sort of have different uses for me.

FL unpronounceables are awesome. I have a REI puffy top and between it and the FL top it is a very noticeable difference in the amount of warmth and wind blocking capabilities.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if my review is technical but I have used by Sitka puffy pants for long sits in the 2018 Minnesota rifle season and 2019 Montana rifle opener, I am impressed with their warmth, I am not familiar with the other brands.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe Rokslide can give it a go :)

my go to hunting puffy pants are by Nunatak- Apex insulation (you choose the weight) and fully customizable- waist/length/fabric/zipper length/etc

Kotaman

WKR
Here’s my review of puffy pants:

*Anything with synthetic insulation is too bulky and too heavy to carry in the mountains. (As nice as most of them are)

*Down- KUIU Ultras fit my needs nicely as they weigh nothing and are warm enough over the top of everything else. The Grumman intrigues me, I may try them.

I’ve owned/own the following puffy pants: KUIU Ultra, First Lite Uncompagre, Sitka Kelvin, Sitka Kelvin Lite, and Kifaru. As much as I want to use synthetic, the trade off is not worth it for the amount I use them.

In summary, if you’re not going to pack them and weight and packability are a non issue, all of the synthetic one’s I’ve owned are fantastic. If you’re gonna pack them on a mountain hunt, you may want a pair of lightweight down like the KUIu Ultras.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have super down pro's for late season hunts and was plenty warm at 3 degrees yesterday morning,it never got above 25 all day.

Nunatak apex for the win. 3.6 apex and they weigh 11 ounces. Nice, light, and weather resistant comfort and insurance! Don’t pack down like down but I’ve yet to have them result in a maxed out pack bag.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Nunatak 2.5 apex pants only way 8-ish ounces and that's w/ zips up to the knees AND they pack small; the Robic fabric is very weather resistant

had mine on this morning glassing at a balmy -2F! :)

ozyclint

WKR
nice to hear the Nunatak gear get a mention. i'm very keen to order a jacket and pants with the APEX insulation. for hunting in cold, wet mountain climes i see many advantages in a synthetic jacket and pants.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ when you look at fabrics (they have several)- check the Robic out- cuts wind extremely well and is very water resistant- not enough to say waterproof, but getting very close :)

Here’s my review of puffy pants:

*Anything with synthetic insulation is too bulky and too heavy to carry in the mountains. (As nice as most of them are)

*Down- KUIU Ultras fit my needs nicely as they weigh nothing and are warm enough over the top of everything else. The Grumman intrigues me, I may try them.

I’ve owned/own the following puffy pants: KUIU Ultra, First Lite Uncompagre, Sitka Kelvin, Sitka Kelvin Lite, and Kifaru. As much as I want to use synthetic, the trade off is not worth it for the amount I use them.

In summary, if you’re not going to pack them and weight and packability are a non issue, all of the synthetic one’s I’ve owned are fantastic. If you’re gonna pack them on a mountain hunt, you may want a pair of lightweight down like the KUIu Ultras.
Did you notice down being warmer than synthetic. Have FL uncompahgre Wondering if I should step into some down pants for when it gets super cold.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
^ when you look at fabrics (they have several)- check the Robic out- cuts wind extremely well and is very water resistant- not enough to say waterproof, but getting very close :)
i was thinking 7D robic. how do you find it for breathability since it is so weather resistant? how do you rate its durability? thanks.

Kotaman

WKR
Did you notice down being warmer than synthetic. Have FL uncompahgre Wondering if I should step into some down pants for when it gets super cold.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

for the most part yes, but it is still all about loft. The KUIU Ultras aren’t super warm, as they are light lofted. The Pro’s are much warmer as are the Grumman. In general yes they are warmer as synthetic compresses so fast with use.

I use the Feathered Friends Helios. They’re a little bulky but sure are warm.

bradb

WKR
I have the Nunatak apex and goosefeet down. Flip a coin, both are real good. That said I pretty much just got the Nunatak for my Yukon hunt and it was way to warm to even carry them along.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was thinking 7D robic. how do you find it for breathability since it is so weather resistant? how do you rate its durability? thanks.

that's what mine are; breathability is fair- but it's not a moving layer for me- I use them for glassing and as part of system for an unexpected night out; durability- mine are holding up great, but again I'm using them static and not on the move

they have more breathable fabrics (and heavier fabrics) if you're thinking about using them on the move- they are really warm, so can't see too many instances where you'd want them on moving