Puffy Pants: Sitka vs Kuiu vs Stone Glacier

There are a lot of puffy pants out there these days, and I’m torn on what to get. The 3 that have caught my eye from a balance of weight, packability and price are the Sitka Kelvin Down 3/4 Pants, SG Grumman Pants, and the new Kuiu Kenai Pants.

I think the Stone and Sitka pants will definitely be warmer, however they’re more expensive and the Grummans are out of stock and have been for a while.

The Kuiu seems like the lightest and simplest design but they also maybe won’t be that warm?

If anyone has experience comparing any of these particularly the Kuiu I’d love to hear your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rideold

WKR
No experience on my part ( I use an old pair of full zip fleece pants for now ) but my $0.02 on the 3/4 length pants is that they would be great when you are booted up and moving.....not so much so once you are in the sleeping bag. I'd rather have the little bit extra weight and have my legs covered to my ankles.

OP
thegoosano
Ya the exact same thing crossed my mind actually. Also the breathability of the Kenai would probably be much more comfortable in a sleeping bag vs a down pant that doesnt move moisture as well. I’m just not sure what temps I could take the Kenai down to as a stand alone piece. I use the peloton 97 bottoms as a base layer, then Sitka apex pants which are good to about upper 40s when glassing, I’m thinking with the Kenai pants I could get down into the 20s?

Bearsears

WKR
My buddy has the 3/4 sitka pants and I absolutely hate them. Every time he moves it sounds like a kid at the sledding hill. No experience with the others. Im a fan of synthetic puffy pants personally just because I am hard on them and tear them up pretty quick. If I had down there wouldnt be any down left in them. Ive been running First Lite puffy pants for three years that have lots of tears in them but no insulation loss. I also think synthetic is a good choice in puffy pants because they have a higher likelyhood of getting wet. Seems like Ive had a lot of instances where I just didnt have time to take them off before I needed to make a move.

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
Good to know. Kuiu advertises the kenai as almost silent…starting to lean in that direction thanks guys

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I have the KUIU Superdown Ultra and Pro pants. The Pros are my go-to's. Significantly warmer and more durable. I'll use the Ultras earlier in the season. I've handled both the Grumman and Kelvin Down and prefer the KUIU Pros based on durability and warmth. They seem to be quieter too but that's not a factor for me as I really only wear them when stationary.

OP
thegoosano
I have the KUIU Superdown Ultra and Pro pants. The Pros are my go-to's. Significantly warmer and more durable. I'll use the Ultras earlier in the season. I've handled both the Grumman and Kelvin Down and prefer the KUIU Pros based on durability and warmth. They seem to be quieter too but that's not a factor for me as I really only wear them when stationary.

What temps do you use the pros down into and what other layers?

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t have anything to contribute but have been debating puffy pants for sometime know. I like the looks of the first lite ones as well. Pnuma has a pair as well

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t think the kenai pants will be nearly as warm as the down alternatives. And for the most part who moves in puffy pants? I think synthetic can be nice for this application, but probably better to have a less breathable face fabric for sitting and glassing etc.

I’ve read in multiple places the Sitka down stuff is super loud.

OP
thegoosano
Ya I think the first lite is about twice the warmth as the kenai and about 6oz heavier. Not a bad trade off.

Definitely would only be using these for glassing and possibly layering under a bag if temps dropped. Noise is only an issue cuz it would annoy tf out of me if I was crinkling around every time I moved haha

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
What temps do you use the pros down into and what other layers?

I've had them into single digits with First Lite Kiln Bottoms and Sitka Timberline Pants underneath, and Sitka Cloudburst Rain Pants over.

BDRam16

WKR
Really a fan of the new Black Ovis puffy pants. Amazing pant for a fraction of the price.

OP
thegoosano
I've had them into single digits with First Lite Kiln Bottoms and Sitka Timberline Pants underneath, and Sitka Cloudburst Rain Pants over.

Sweet that’s a solid system. Idk why but I think I’m leaning towards synthetic right now but I’ll take a closer look at the super down pro

OP
thegoosano
Really a fan of the new Black Ovis puffy pants. Amazing pant for a fraction of the price.

Those are sweet. I worry about the quality at that price but it sounds like people are loving them

BDRam16

WKR
Those are sweet. I worry about the quality at that price but it sounds like people are loving them

Mine are flawless and zero issues. I also believe blackovis has some pretty top notch customer service if you were to have an issue.

Kostrize

WKR
OR Refuge is a solid synthetic option. The Beyond K7 pants also

I had the older Kuiu Kenai and they were extremely quiet but not very warm.

The SG Grumman pants are extremely warm and one of the better values, especially for treated down

Jbxl20

WKR
I have the black ovis puffy pants. I think the are great for the price. I used them in Colorado last month for archery elk. I only wore them twice, while sitting so I have limited Experience. The kept me warm so I’m looking forward to using them this fall/winter.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet that’s a solid system. Idk why but I think I’m leaning towards synthetic right now but I’ll take a closer look at the super down pro

I like down because it's warmer for the weight and more packable. I also always have rain gear along so they won't get wet. I was on a moose hunt in Alaska last fall where it rained nine of the eleven days we were out and I was able to keep them dry. Of the hunting brands (not as familiar with the hiking side), I think the KUIU Pros are the best down pants.

OMB

WKR
I have the Super Down Pro and have looked extensively at the SG Grumman, and felt like there wasn't much of an upgrade.

I've had an eye on the Kenai pants but only for treestand bowhunting, but don't know that they'd be a huge upgrade on the Super Down from a quietness vs warmth standpoint.

OP
thegoosano
OR Refuge is a solid synthetic option. The Beyond K7 pants also

I had the older Kuiu Kenai and they were extremely quiet but not very warm.

The SG Grumman pants are extremely warm and one of the better values, especially for treated down

Those SG Grumman’s we’re gonna be my first choice. I have the jacket and really like it. They’re out of stock though and have been forever, I wonder if they’re redesigning them right now?