Puffy pants?

Thess87

WKR
Going fly in north slope with bra. Aug 18-24. Planned on just base layer outer layer and rain gear when needed. Should I add puffy pants for glassing or will rain gear be sufficient? Thanks

PNWGATOR

WKR
100% yes! Just make the right choice. My Patagonia’s have no leg zips...that’s a problem. Great pants and great product, but a fail for the backcountry hunter.

P.S. Sorry Randy!

carter33

WKR
Last year on a north slope trip in the last week of August I wore my puffy pants pants a few days. They are not necessary I don’t think but if you already have a pair and have room they’re a nice addition for sure.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm planning on taking mine next year. I just need to decide if I'll take the Kuiu Kenai or Superdown Pro. I'm thinking Kenai, they aren't as warm but they layer under my raingear much better. Good hearing that they are optional to many people, that makes me think taking the lighter/less warm synthetic ones is a good choice.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the slope last year last week of August with BRA, take your puffy pants. You have generous weight limits and the wind can get cold. We had the mercury drop into the low 20's high teens one night and the wind howled at 50 mph. You'll wish you took them if you don't.

If you just want to be safe and not spend a lot of money, buy a pair of M65 pant liners in long from eBay or a surplus store for about $12-15. They only weigh ~14 ounces and are very warm and durable.

They’d make great glassing pants because they snap on so they can be put on or taken off without taking your boots off or getting the insides dirty/muddy from sliding over your boots.

My only complaint is that they don’t compress like down...but they literally cost me $12.50 shipped.

They also fit well over your head as a stocking cap in case you forget one and your head gets cold at night. Ask me how I know.

Jimss

WKR
You may want to consider just buying a little thicker pair of base layer bottoms? I bet they would be a lot cheaper and do a fine job when layering. All of the weight and bulk adds up in luggage. I am always trying to lesson what I need to drag up north! In cold conditions in August I think you would be fine wearing a thicker base layer, pants, plus rain pants to glass. I would think you would melt when hiking with a puffy?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not a bad thing to have at all, they can be really nice for glassing in the mornings and evenings (or any time it’s cold out and you’re sitting still), I try to get the lightest most compact pair I can find because I may use them 5-6 hours on a week long hunt.

The puffy pants and puffy jacket live in my pack during the day along with the 8'x10' Siltarp 2. If I have to spend a night out away from camp, combined with 5 sections of a Z-light pad, I'll be dry and relatively warm. Might or might not need them glassing. At night back at camp, the puffies combined with my other day clothes probably drop my sleeping bag rating down another 15* F or more. Also nice to wear the puffy pants around the tent in the evening while cooking and eating supper, especially if its cold and windy. For my use they are an essential piece of gear. Good luck on the caribou!

I dunno guys. There's something a little bit off when I think about you tougher-than-average Alaska hunters slipping into your 'puffy pants'. Smoking jacket and corduroy slippers anyone?
:rolleyes:

Okay...okay....I'll be honest: I think puffy pants are a great idea and I've watched them gain in popularity. I've never owned a pair....mainly because I've not thought of them as essential to my hunts, I'm afraid that might change if I ever used a pair on a cold windy morning while glassing the valley. Maybe I'll join the Comfort Crowd and buy a pair this year. There's a company making custom PPs and I should look them up if I can find them.

mcseal2

WKR
Do you guys that use them have a preference of down or synthetic for caribou hunting?

I have the lightweight synthetic Kuiu Kenai puffy pants that go under my regular pants. Not super warm and not at all windproof, but they layer under my normal pants or rain pants fine.

My other ones are the Kuiu Superdown Pro pants. They are pretty bulky and would have to be worn over my rain pants to avoid compressing them a lot and losing warmth. I have a pair of Kuiu Chugach rain pants I picked up on sale sized up to go over them, but that's another layer to pack around that's really only good for stationary glassing. I'd much rather wear my normal size Yukon rain pants walking or hunting than the oversize Chugach. I just got them to protect the down pants for long wet sits glassing for deer.

I would not be against getting another pair like the Kifaru synthetic puffy pants either for my AK hunts. I like my LPP puffy jacket. Kuiu has the waterproof down, but I haven't ever tested it on a multi-day hunt that's really wet.

Thanks for the advice.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my pair of Enlightened Equipment PP. they’re climasheid apex insulation.

Seem well constructed and super lightweight. But I’m I’m quickly gonna wish they had zippered legs...

TreyPound

FNG
I have not bought a pair yet but from my research the past few months it seems like everyone votes the Mt Hardwear Compressors as the best ones. I like the fact they are cheaper than Barny's pants and they have a full length side zip to facilitate putting on and taking of over boots.

mproberts

WKR
I'm afraid that might change if I ever used a pair on a cold windy morning while glassing the valley. Maybe I'll join the Comfort Crowd and buy a pair this year. There's a company making custom PPs and I should look them up if I can find them.

Plenty of room on team Comfort Crowd! There is nothing wrong with being comfortable, it honestly helps keep your head in the game. One less thing to worry about on a hunt like that.

I literally wore my kelvin lite pants everyday last year on a Aug 20-28 north Brooks hunt. Wore them over leggings and sitka mountain pants, often with rain gear over them. I just fully unzipped the sides anytime I was hiking. With the cold, winds and limited hiking possible they were a lifesaver.