Puffy pants?

I'm planning on taking mine next year. I just need to decide if I'll take the Kuiu Kenai or Superdown Pro. I'm thinking Kenai, they aren't as warm but they layer under my raingear much better. Good hearing that they are optional to many people, that makes me think taking the lighter/less warm synthetic ones is a good choice.
I’ve been trying to track down a pair of kenai pants forever! No idea why they discontinued them when they are still making the jacket. I called about a month ago and they said something similar is in the works. I would definitely take the kenais’ They are so versatile and weight/bulk is minimal.

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah, mine weigh 8 or 9 ounces and work great unless it's really cold. Under rain pants especially they are enough most of the time and I can actually walk in them if it's not to far or steep without getting way to hot. The Superdown Pro pants I definitely don't keep on if I'm walking a half mile between glassing points.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got Keanu pants off the outlet a year and a half ago or so, only used them a few times, I like the stone glacier down pants the best.

Beendare

WKR
I resisted the down over pant until one hunt I was up on a Mtn shivering so bad....my bino's were steady on the tripod...it was me shaking.

picking up a pair was one of my better purchases, I have the Kuiu lighter version, full leg zips and now those things go on a lot of hunts as they don't take up any space in your pack. Can't bust brush in them though....

I've worn these down into the 20's- they are plenty warm without going to the Michelin Man versions.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
I just received my pair of Enlightened Equipment PP. they’re climasheid apex insulation.

Seem well constructed and super lightweight. But I’m I’m quickly gonna wish they had zippered legs...
You get used to the lack of zippers. Just takes a little planning. Usually if the puffy pants go on, the gaiters are off already. With the pants on, boots stay loosely tied - keeps feet warmer anyway. Drop the puffy pants, slip a foot out and drop it straight back into the boot. Repeat.

I usually throw hard shell pants over my puffy pants for glassing, etc so there's already layering issues if I was to have to get somewhere right now.

I always grab my EE apex pants over my Superdown pants. The zipper issue hasn't handicapped me yet.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Really like puffy pants myself. Great to throw on as soon as you stop moving and add more warmth than long bottoms.

bradb

WKR
I have both Goose Feet gear and Nunatak. I like both a lot, really just got the nunatak.
Goose feet did take a fair bit longer to get then he said, other then that all good

Brent9477

FNG
Thanks for mentioning those two companies looking to get some new ones . I have trouble keeping the Kuiu on my waist

MYP009

FNG
this has made me second guess whether i need to take mine next week. sounds like the weather can turn on you.