Puffy Pants

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for feedback on options for puffy pants to be worn while glassing and under raingear. I've looked at Kuiu, FL and Sitka but wanted to know if there were any others worth considering. I've looked at the Mountain Hardware compressor pants but am not sold yet. Any advice is appreciated.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going to get the lost park pants from Kifaru Once my secret stash the wife doesnt know about has enough in it.

$210 and made in the US. Comparable price to the others, but made in the US. No brainer in my opinion.

ozyclint

WKR
nunatak skaha pants. can be made to fit and a choice of material and zip options. USA made. will get a pair myself one day along with a jacket. lighter than lost park

I have sitka. They are fine. Probably can’t go wrong with any of them. Biggest issue is to decide if you are wearing them as an outer layer or under something and then size both garments as needed. Like buy a size up if you want them to go over your pants easily. Keep in mind if you wear them under something that is tight the puffy will compress and lose insulation.

Nunatak or goosefeet gear is where I’d look. Get the size, fabric, zipper, and insulation you want. My nunatak Skaha apex pants are half the weight of the kifaru LPP. They aren’t as durable but they don’t have to be.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Kryptek puffy pants for 4 or 5 years now. They're quiet, work great and have held up well. They are a little bulky but very light.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
If budget is not an issue Kuiu SD Pro's all the way. They have a looot of warmth in 16oz.

M65 pant liners on eBay for $13. Get the long version.

There is also an Air Force version that cost a bit more.

If I'm packing puffy pants, I DON'T want synthetic. Too heavy, too bulky to carry.

That logic makes a lot of sense. They are kind of an "extra" item. At 8-12ish ounces I like the fact that Nunatak apex gets you more forgiveness in worrying about getting them wet or not losing a bunch of feathers if you tear them.

What kind of climate, and distance from safety are you hunting?

My advice would change a whole bunch for first rut rolling prairies vs November Alberta rockies. Also if you are a 2hr hike from real heat vs a 6hr hike.

Jblack86

FNG
I bought these. 119 and made from Apex. I have not had any cold weather to test but I think they will work great.

GPool1842

WKR
Got the Kifaru puffy pants in this week. They are awesome and should hold up well with the cordura seat and knees. Testing them out next week..

ozyclint

WKR
the apex insulation, light weight and custom ability is what draws me to nunatak at the moment.

i want it for tahr hunts in wet, humid, cold conditions where there is no chance of a fire for 2 weeks.

LitenFast

WKR
I bought some Patagonia mil spec puffy pants off EBay a few years ago for about $100. Full zip, slightly reinforced butt, knees and I think bottom of legs. Synthetic insulation and right at 16oz for size xl(I’m 6’4” 220# and wear 36x34 Levi’s.)

I like them a lot. I prefer synthetic for fly in remote Alaska stuff. I feel like they are also most likely to get wet if sh$t hits the fan as you are often sitting on the ground with them or are using them as emergency spike out from camp overnight.

I could see trying to get something lighter/packs down better if in drier climate or closer to the truck but they work great for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rab Photon pants are another option to consider. Reinforced seat and knees, primaloft insulation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down Pants and love them. They fully unzip so you don't need to take your boots off and are filled with 850+ Fill Power Goose Down making them stupid worm. They are also the lightest pants I have found on the market and the stuff sack for them is a 9” x 4” x 4" taking up little room in my pack.