Puffy pants

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Nunatak did reply with email saying I should have my pants in 8 weeks,that’s plenty of time.Again thanks for all of the input

I have several pairs of puffy pants to include MH Compressor, Kuiu SD, and two pairs of GooseFeet Gear, and IMO nothing even comes close to the custom GFG. They're 100% fully customizable, right down to every minor detail so you get exactly what you want/need and nothing you don't, made in the USA, and usually priced right in line with any of the other down puffy makers.

I think I’ve posted this picture on here before. GFG vs. Kuiu SD no comparison regarding warmth and the GFG are an oz. lighter, but to be fair, they also don’t have any zippers.
0a0675b255cf4e57d82847b92864ae5d.jpg
How many oz are you GFG? I've played around on their website and man, they can customize everything!

How many oz are you GFG? I've played around on their website and man, they can customize everything!
My lighest pair is 7 oz. and the heavier pair is 9.5 oz. I had the 9.5 oz. pair made with the heavier 20D shell, baffle constructed, and 6.0 oz. of 950 fill, which was probably a bit overkill, but man are they NICE!

idig4au

WKR
The western mountaineering ones i got my wife are way nicer than the kuiu ultra ones i have, i might have to "borrow" them from her this season lol

I second this. I also use western mountaineering flash pants. The lack of zippers is less of concern as i use them mostly in camp and as extra sleeping layer if needed.

I admit, the GDF option looks great as well.

I also have the synthetic RAB zip on insulated pants that work great for very cold horseback hunts. Way too heavy for a backpack hunt though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My lighest pair is 7 oz. and the heavier pair is 9.5 oz. I had the 9.5 oz. pair made with the heavier 20D shell, baffle constructed, and 6.0 oz. of 950 fill, which was probably a bit overkill, but man are they NICE!
I was looking at having pretty much that same setup but with leg zips which will add a little weight. What size are yours? May go with the lightweight inner material to offset zipper weight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was looking at having pretty much that same setup but with leg zips which will add a little weight. What size are yours? May go with the lightweight inner material to offset zipper weight.

Here are the specs.
a9127daeee2f766ebc103727554dad81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the specs.
a9127daeee2f766ebc103727554dad81.jpg

Troutbum, how do you like the zipper less puffy pants? I really like that feature on my kuiu’s, but typically run cold and have found myself chilled wearing those and looking for a step up. Is it a PITA to get your boots through those pants? If you could go back would you build them w zips?

If you do end up going this route, mind doing a little write up? I’m tossing something like this, or the LPP pants, around in my mind.

ramhunter

FNG
I like my Kuiu puffys for mountain hunting, also nice at night in the sleeping bag on those very cold nights! I have the Stone Glacier Grumman down jacket, and is the best hunting jacket I have owed! Got my wife the SG Grumman pants, she loves them too! I like the kuiu's , but would go with the SG's, just my 2 cents!

Troutbum, how do you like the zipper less puffy pants? I really like that feature on my kuiu’s, but typically run cold and have found myself chilled wearing those and looking for a step up. Is it a PITA to get your boots through those pants? If you could go back would you build them w zips?
I rarely if ever used the zipper on my Kuiu pants, just because the only time I wear the bottom puffy's is while I'm in camp, or to sleep in. I always wear Croc style camp shoes while in camp, so it's never an issue getting into or out of my puffy pants.

Tried the KUIU and they were not warm enough, replaced with Sitka Kelvins and never looked back.

gexpro

WKR
I've been extremely happy with KUIU super down pro pants... very lofty and warm.. the side zip is money as well.

@AK Troutbum are those the super down ultra pants or the orignal kuiu super down pants (pre super down pro) you have posted in the photos? they look a bit on the thin side to be the pro's.

bradb

WKR
I have nunatak synthetic and the goose feet down. Both very good. I have a lot of down in my down ones and they are warmer. But in general it just depends the weight and warmth you want, features(zippers which adds weight) Both of these companies will make to your specs.

I can't imagine a "puffy" pant without side zips. You don't always need them but when you do they are a life saver. I've had to put mine on many times when not in camp back in my mountaineering days and I would think glassing sessions would require the same.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glassing is the main reason I carry mine and typically only when I know it’s going to cold. In that scenario you definitely want side zips. I found out that roughly knee height zippers are plenty even for bulky boots.

Mine are Nunatak Apex insulated. The fabric I chose was Robic which is highly water and wind resistant.

My Kuiu ULTRAs have served me very well. They're light and provide a good amount of warmth especially compared to regular synthetic or merino base layers from Kuiu/Sitka/Kryptek. This is with them being the same or a bit lighter on weight. I like them a heck of lot more than my synthetic Kryptek ones (still have but long since retired).

If I had to do it again, I would have been better served just going straight to the PROs or something comparable. While there is a relatively small weight penalty, the improved warmth makes it worthwhile.

For glassing or taking an extended break in colder temperatures, I'll throw them on as well as a down puffy jacket. If it is windy as well, I will then throw on something to block the wind (ex: rain gear).

I've been extremely happy with KUIU super down pro pants... very lofty and warm.. the side zip is money as well.

@AK Troutbum are those the super down ultra pants or the orignal kuiu super down pants (pre super down pro) you have posted in the photos? they look a bit on the thin side to be the pro's.

The ones I have are the originals and I don’t believe they even offered anything other than that model back then. I can definitely see where people would enjoy the zippers for ease on/off, without having to take their boots off, but for me, even during long glassing periods, I’ve never felt the need to put my puffy pants on. For years, the only down puffy pants I owned were the Kuiu’s, and I can’t remember even once ever using the leg zippers.

BBob

WKR
Just goes to show how different peoples needs can be. I'm in the must have zippers camp for sure. My main use is glassing and secondary for camp. I'm one of those people that when sitting still can get very cold but once I move I get hot quick. I'll overheat if I don't strip layers hence I need zippers. I'll never go back to pulling my boots to get the layers off when the time comes to move quickly.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have the FL Uncompahgre pants and have found that they're warm and the zips are useful. They don't pack down near as small as down (naturally) but for whatever reason I've convinced myself that pants should be synthetic because your ass is often on the ground and the ground is often wet. I wouldn't say I'm in in love with the Uncompahgres but it's not because they're not very warm.

Build quality is a little iffy, I ripped the snap button out of a pair unbuttoning them and if they so much as even see a sharp stick while you're walking around camp they will absolutely tear.

But weight to warmth for a synthetic options is quite good, imo.

Edit: I wear the Grumman Goose Down jacket from SG and love it.