Puffy pants

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
looking for opinions on puffy pants for last ten days of August,leaning towards synthetic maybe nanutuk 2.5 instead of the 3.5’s. Times getting short so need to get a order in soon,Thanks for any opinions Billy

BBob

WKR
Where are you located or planning to hunt? I'm just curious because I've never felt like I needed puffy pants in August/September even at 10K+ft above timberline and it snowed on me (which has happened). This is coming from my perspective of a fairly long distance pack and not wanting to carry another half pound or more.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Sheep hunt Alaska range, was eyeing the kifaru at first but wasn’t sure if that might be little overkill.Took a look at the nanutuk website after I posted they are up to 16 week lead times ,might be to late to get order in. I’m normally good down to about 30* for several hours with LPP and no puffy pants but an extended sit in rainy conditions might require the puffy pants.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Not synthetic but I've been using Kuiu Super Down Ultra @ 8oz for the last two seasons. Got by without for decades but they do make a nice difference in comfort.
I've been rolling the same ever since they first came out a few years back...they do make a difference for me. Full-length zippers make on/off easy and fast without removing your boots. They stuff very compactly and zip-close easily into their own pocket, and at .6 they are worth their wt for me.

Clarktar

WKR
I have not seen a reason to change from my mountain hardware compressor pants. Can be found on ebay usually for good price!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have several pairs of puffy pants to include MH Compressor, Kuiu SD, and two pairs of GooseFeet Gear, and IMO nothing even comes close to the custom GFG. They're 100% fully customizable, right down to every minor detail so you get exactly what you want/need and nothing you don't, made in the USA, and usually priced right in line with any of the other down puffy makers.

I think I’ve posted this picture on here before. GFG vs. Kuiu SD no comparison regarding warmth and the GFG are an oz. lighter, but to be fair, they also don’t have any zippers.
0a0675b255cf4e57d82847b92864ae5d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies. Seems like most people are comfortable with down even in possibly what could be very wet conditions. Gonna check out the goose feet pants,thanks again

Super down lives up to its billing...doesn't get wet, or at least mine doesn't seem too in the zip-off pants, the sleeping bag or the jacket with hood. I think it is great for backpack sheep hunting, light, warm and weather resistant. The down jacket will hold sweat inside though, so isn't good for moving where you will sweat, more for glassing, around camp, more insulation in the sleeping bag, etc.

Alaska range got hit very hard last year (winter 2019-2020) many hunters went home empty handed, moose and sheep. Hopefully you aren’t one of them this year as well.

As mentioned I haven’t needed puffy pants in August, but if you run cold it’s light insurance. I have the Under armor puffy pants that was on a great sale 1/2 price.

Northpark

WKR
Kuiu ultra pants for me. I even took mine coues deer hunting in January. They were really nice to have while glassing in windy conditions. Especially for like 7 oz.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
The guide did say that they had a tough year,but would have been 100% if one of the hunters hadn’t missed 5 times 😳. One of the hunters I spoke with said that they covered over 70 miles on his hunt but took a whopper ram.Most of the equipment list is completed but for only couple items puffy pants being one.Have gained lot of knowledge from the rokslide members and I’m very thankful for all the input hopefully the hunt goes well and end up with some meat, mount and some memories that will last forever.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
looking for opinions on puffy pants for last ten days of August,leaning towards synthetic maybe nanutuk 2.5 instead of the 3.5’s. Times getting short so need to get a order in soon,Thanks for any opinions Billy

I have the 2.5 Apex ones and they are plenty warm sitting static late season elk, so shouldn't be a problem sheep season. Also the knee zip length is plenty to get over/off any boot- no need to go full zip.

Clarktar

WKR
Well, at over 20 ounces, maybe I will upgrade from the Mountain Hardware compressor pant. Looks like a pair of PCT pants from nunatak would weigh less than 11 ounces with knee length zippers and the heavier fabrics.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
SG Grumman puffy pants and the OR Foray (gore-tex) rain pants. The combo can be had for under $300 and provides a very versatile system. Combined they both pack down to about the size of a single nalgene, the foray folds into its own rear pocket.

The GFG stuff is awesome too, but for the money and the little added durability, the SG got my vote.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Nunataks 2.5 ordered that should be sufficient for temps for August,hopefully they get here in time.now time for figuring out the shelter again thanks for all of the suggestions

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a pair of Rab synthetic puffy pants. Down will be my next set, but for the money and if rain is forecasted these Rabs will more than suffice. Nunatak makes great gear, you're just cutting it close on deadlines

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk