Puffy + rain shell = more warmth?

My puffy isn't quite warm enough for all of my hunts and I need to buy a quality rain shell anyway. Will a hard shell boost warmth an appreciable amount or do I need a warmer puffy and a shell?

I could definitely save a few bucks if the shell is going to add significant warmth but my current shell is junk and I can't test the theory.

fatlander

WKR
Short answer, yes it keeps you warmer.

Longer answer, still might not be warm enough for your intended purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
Yes but it will most likely hold in water vapor and your puffy will get wet if you wear it hiking in. I'd for sure get a rain jacket that had pit zips and not wear a down puffy under it if there is any chance you might sweat.

KG406

FNG
A shell holds in a bit of warmth, and makes a huge difference when it's windy. I actually prefer to go with a lighter puffy and then I just adjust my base and mid layers with temperature since, as mentioned above, I generally do not hike in the puffy. I use a cheap gerry 650 fill from costco more than any others and am comfortable for long glassing sessions in well below zero temperatures... can't say the same for my toes though!

BBob

WKR
Over the years I figured out I can go lighter overall with a lighter puffy coupled with ultralight rain gear. As mentioned above it's especially helpful when it's windy. I'm sitting on exposed glassing spots a lot so it comes in handy often.

KG406

FNG
but I should add that when it is super cold I often use a softshell over the puffy and then a rain shell over that when it's nasty and windy. I know a lot of guys on here are not fans of softshells. Definitely not a replacement for a rain shell but I love them for a lot of situations

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you can get your fit right with the outer shell not compressing the puffy, then it will be warmer. You may need to have a shell that's oversized to fit over your puffy though, and the rest of the time you wear that shell without, it may feel baggy. Just got to find that sweet spot.

JRMiller

WKR
Over the years I figured out I can go lighter overall with a lighter puffy coupled with ultralight rain gear. As mentioned above it's especially helpful when it's windy. I'm sitting on exposed glassing spots a lot so it comes in handy often.
Same here.
If your rain jacket has pit zips your golden

Mt Al

WKR
Yes! The puffy I carry, a Simms with Primaloft gold, is almost a bit too much insulation for walking around. But the puffy with a Sitka lightweight rain jacket is crazy warm for glassing or sitting in a blind.

Lowg08

WKR
I have mine set up to cut weight. I have a synthetic puffy I wear under a down puffy and then a Sitka dew point rain shell with the pit zips. That is for extreme cold though.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya. Rain coat and down jacket are very usable together. Just have to use common sense when moving hard.

406unltd

WKR
That depends on how warm or cold blooded you are, and what jacket you have. All you can do is get the rain jacket and test it. If it’s not warm enough get a warmer puffy.

Lowg08

WKR
I will also add I do not wear that set up moving. If I do wear a puffy hiking it’s without the rain jacket. I will only hike in my kuiu kenai ultra and always open the pit zips. I tried the rain shell once over it and it was way to hot. To add. Once my son was
Getting cold on a late season sit and I just put my jacket on him and it covered him like a poncho and it changed the whole sit. He was nice and toasty

prm

WKR
Seems to have been addressed pretty well. If wind is the breaking point, then yes, it might be enough to make it tolerable. But if it compresses the puffy it will not help, and if it doesn’t breathe it might make matters worse. I’d lean more towards more insulated, breathable, and windblocking mid layers.