Puffy Recommendations

I have a heavy Patagonia parka that I hardly use. Synthetic, bulky, and really too much for all but coldes weather.

The ones I use in order of warmth are:

Kelvin active - light and packable. Warmer than a fleece for less weight but not a super warm garment. Great for layering under something but works as an exterior piece. Fits slim. I usually straddle xl and xxl and the one I have is a bit snug. Not sure how “active” it is. I sweat in mine if I wear it on the move.

FL uncomphagre - had this one for a while. Great as an outputs right layer. Can still wear under things for insulation although I think it gets compressed which reduces r value. It as warm as I thought it was going to be but the one in my pack the most.

Kelvin light hoodie. Warmer than the FL piece. Too bulky to layer underneath anything but the biggest tops like my jetstream. I like it a lot but when I am looking for something to stuff in my pack “just in case” I seem to reach for the FL more often.

Trial153

WKR
Thoughts on the Sitka Kelvin down ws hoody?

It’s a beast, very warm as to be expected from the fill weight and the Windstoper layer, the down side is you give up packability and pay a weight penalty.

tlkaetz

WKR
I have been very impressed with the Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody this year. It is very warm!! It is very bulky though.

tlkaetz

WKR
Thanks for the heads up.

Just for reference I can layer the Kelvin Down WS over the following layering system:

First Lite SS Crew
Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody
Sitka Cloudburst Jacket

It does run very big and is meant to layer over your entire system. I can keep it in my pack and throw it over everything if I get cold.