Puffy/Shell vs Sitka Fanatic

Matt H

FNG
I'm a Kansas guy that runs cold. I also hunt the Rockies every year.

The Sitka Fanatic jacket looks amazing, but one dimensional. I'm leaning towards a good puffy beneath a Stika Jetstream because it will offer more versatility in the mountains. But will that be as warm?

For the guys that have tried the Sitka Fanatic Jacket - would a puffy underneath a windstopper shell be as warm as the Fanatic?

Thanks for your time

I wear a super lofty, though light weight, run-of-the-mill hooded puffy (not name brand) with a super-duper light weight knee-length rain parka (also not name brand) over that. Toasty!

I hunt Kansas and west each year. To me it's worth having separate gear for each. Primarily because Sitka's whitetail line-up is so dialed for treestand archery, but agree very one-dimensional.

I do think you could run a puffy under the Jetstream and match the warmth of the Fanatic jacket. Likely get warmer depending on the puffy. But I don't think you will be as quiet and shooting may not be as comfortable.

Also a Kansas guy that does both and has used both set ups you describe above - a good base + good puffy + Jetstream will be similar in warmth but not as easy to draw and as quiet as the fanatic. What I really found to be the biggest difference is the fanatic bibs……they make a huge difference in the set up compared to pants and the Jetstream set up……I assume you hunt Kansas more than you do out west - I would invest in the Fanatic set it you can.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Will it work, yes. Will it work as well, no. The fanatic is hefty, but super warm and well thought out. The jetstream is a decent shell, but much louder, and not terribly warm. Even with the kelvin underneath it wouldnt be as warm as the fanatic.

Whisky

WKR
What about the Incinerator Aerolite?
More packable/less bulk than the Fanatic, supposedly warmer, and has insulation and shell built into one jacket?

OP
M

Matt H

FNG
I appreciate the insight guys. Thank you!

Think I'll start with the Fanatic bibs and go from there.

What about the Incinerator Aerolite?
More packable/less bulk than the Fanatic, supposedly warmer, and has insulation and shell built into one jacket?
I use this set. I love it, super warm and way less bulky. I'll wear a soft shell and pants with midlayer until low 30s and then switch over to this for stationary hunts.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I have used several jackets and combos to include a puffy/ wind shear combo, the fanatic is warmer than anything I have used. I used it in Illinois for a few days. That jacket is awesome but was way too hot for me. I prefer a puffy vest under a jacket when it’s super cold. It works but wont replace the fanatic if that’s what you’re needing. Last time I was using a Kuiu guide jacket and a puffy vest at first/last light and when we’d stop for long periods to glass. This combo was plenty for me and lighter than my fanatic would’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk