Pulled Brass

OXN939

WKR
This has been discussed online before, but I'm interested in member opinions and also have a bit of a twist on the topics I've seen.

Found an old ladder I had loaded a year or so ago and wasn't going to shoot. So, pulled them apart. As I was reloading them with a current load, it was obvious that neck tension way way less than normally resized rounds- no shocker there. Interestingly, my COAL also ended up .005" shorter than it is with normal brass off the same seating die, locked in the same position.

The twist is that I'm shooting Hammer bullets and giving them the recommended 1/4 turn crimp on a Lee factory crimp die. So, does anyone have experience with or guesses about how different performance would be between a load with normally sized brass vs the stuff from those deconstructed loads? Think the crimp will negate the neck tension disparity? Feel like I'm finally flirting with reloading nerd status

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Why wouldn't you just size them after pulling them down? If you're worried about the primers you could pull the decapping pin out of the die

Thought about that. Another step to do plus working the brass over again, I guess. If I had a neck sizing die I'd be on it but all I have is a FL sizing die

I think you're velocities will be different after the next sizing.
Which may throw you're node off and have to adjust slightly.
Along with your dope.
Id just do whatever I'm going to do next time for efficiency and component conservation.
Along with my time and sanity.
I'm way less worried about brass then the throat of my barrel.

Pull the decapping pin. Run them through the die and load them like normal. You won’t be working over the brass due to them already being sized and not fired. Your necks will be sized though and consistent.

Rereading your post it seems you’ve already loaded the brass in question. I would definitely go shoot a group and see how it shoots. The crimp may be enough to keep your current load in the node.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never seen any difference when I reload brass that the bullets had been pulled. Everything matched up the way I wanted and shot just as accurate.

rayporter

WKR
unscrew the decapping pin a few turns and unscrew the die a half turn and you will just resize part of the neck enough to get your tension back, without full length sizing the case. it likely wont matter if you full length them anyway since they have already been sized.

and expect the seating depth to change so be ready to adjust it.