Pulled venison sandwich sauce

I have a couple small shoulders I'd like to slow roast for a day and looking for some ideas to make sandwiches similar to pulled pork. Traditionally we make pulled pork with a sweet sauce and serve it on a bun with coleslaw or pickles on top but thinking less sweet might be better for venison. I want to roast these in the sauce till fall apart tender.

Recipe ideas or links would be much appreciated but I'm not above a store bought sauce either. Last time we did this basic Kraft bbq sauce and it came out great. We put mustard on the bottom bun to give it some tang to counter the sweet.

Ddog

WKR
If you like that vinegar tang, try a Carolina style BBQ sauce. Should be a few options at the grocery store, or a quick search should pull up an easy recipe to make one. Sounds like a great meal.

I always add the sauce after the roast is pulled, be careful with the cooking in the sauce as most sauces contain some type of sugar and have the tendency too burn quickly, my go too for these type of sandwhiches is sticky fingers brands with sweet baby rays a close second. For a non-tomato base I just take vinegar, salt and pepper too taste, some red pepper flakes and a bit of tomato paste in a jar shake well and use that, or instead of tomato paste you can use dijon mustard. And yes a good cole slaw topper on a brioche bun. EAT WELL, DRINK GOOD ALE, LIFE IS GOOD.

I recently did a neck roast. Roasted it in the crock pot all day in just a can of soda. Pulled the meat, dumped out the left over drippings in the crock pot, added the meat back in the crock pot with some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ warmed for a little bit and served.

Was great! Had no gamey flavor. Tapered like a pot roast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I have a couple small shoulders I'd like to slow roast for a day and looking for some ideas to make sandwiches similar to pulled pork. Traditionally we make pulled pork with a sweet sauce and serve it on a bun with coleslaw or pickles on top but thinking less sweet might be better for venison. I want to roast these in the sauce till fall apart tender.

Recipe ideas or links would be much appreciated but I'm not above a store bought sauce either. Last time we did this basic Kraft bbq sauce and it came out great. We put mustard on the bottom bun to give it some tang to counter the sweet.

Without a doubt, what you're looking for is "Mississippi Pot Roast". The residual au jus left over is great to dunk your sandwiches in.

Store bought horseradish sauce would be good on venison sandwiches also.

OP
C
Without a doubt, what you're looking for is "Mississippi Pot Roast". The residual au jus left over is great to dunk your sandwiches in.

Now that you reminded me I remember reading this originally. Thanks!

My wife makes a Mississippi pot roast all the time. It’s awesome!! I’ll have to try in with venison.

Also same recipe with chicken breast is BA!

TheGDog

WKR
Gotta bust some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce! Also slather on minced Garlic. Across the top of it. Be ready though! Doing a Pork Butt on a smoker takes soo damn long! like 12Hrs

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'd put it on Tacos w/ sour cream, black beans, arugula, cilantro, some pickled radishes/onion and maybe some cayenne or Louisiana Hot Sauce.

+1 for Mississippi pot roast. I put it on toasted French bread or baguettes to make poboys. Add mayo, shredded lettuce, thin slice tomatoe and pickles. It’s super easy and awesome.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I have a red sauce that come by way of the VA/TN mountain areas. It is a thinner sauce that the sticky Kansas City style sauces, has good sweetness and the vinegar twang.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sorghum (can use molasses as a substitute)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, black pepper, chipotle powder (or chili powder), red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon of each: cinnamon, all spice, cumin, mace (can substitute nutmeg)

heat on stoptop till simmering, remove and cool and allow spices to meld overnight.

This sauce was the base for my BBQ Competition recipes where I have taken multiple top 10's in pork, chicken, brisket, and ribs.