Pulling a Trailer - What to bring?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
2x the fuel mileage?? You might lose a few MPGs…

Buy a bigger truck?? So drop $60k on a new truck instead of buying a $2k trailer? lol

Some dudes on here are real hardcore. For the regular average joes-such as my group of 6 combat veteran Marines, we need an enclosed trailer behind the truck bc it hauls camp, gear and is our dry out place when Idaho rains 6 days straight.

TheViking

WKR
Some dudes on here are real hardcore. For the regular average joes-such as my group of 6 combat veteran Marines, we need an enclosed trailer behind the truck bc it hauls camp, gear and is our dry out place when Idaho rains 6 days straight.

I tow a small 5x8 trailer because it’s 100x easier than packing my truck like Tetris. We go for two weeks and bring a lot of comfort items, chest freezer, spare items, tools, etc.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Right on! We also add some comfort items that make the trip more enjoyable.

2x the fuel mileage?? You might lose a few MPGs…

Buy a bigger truck?? So drop $60k on a new truck instead of buying a $2k trailer? lol

Clearly you have not pulled a box trailer at 80 MPH before. lol

I was kidding about the bigger truck though.

11boo

WKR
I took a new hunter, my nephew, on a 2 week hunt. He was pretty excited and helped with preps a lot. One of the last things to do was build a box toilet. I made a rough sketch and turned him loose in the shop.

Bless his heart, this is what he made.

8144AC39-4F8D-42AC-85F0-1E1312BFC66F.jpeg

hikenhunt

WKR
Unless that's a tiny toilet lid, it looks like a lifeguard chair! Maybe a footrest would be nice!

All the spare trailer tires and wheel bearings you can carry and a gallon of green slime. Did I mention I hate trailers...pulled one daily for 5 years working all over the country.

The first time I pulled my trailer out to WY, my buddy’s family teased me for hauling it out to leave it at the ranch when we went up into the mountains.

I packed all of our gear in the trailer except a couple of pads, sleeping bags etc to crash in the truck.

We hunted deer down on the ranch and when my buddy shot a deer late, his son in law commented, “I wish we had a Coleman lantern to use tracking.”

I said, “I’ve got one in the trailer.”

We had meat and he said, “This might be a tight fit in our freezer while you guys are on the mountain.”

I said, “If I can run my extension cord into your shop, we can plug in the chest freezer in the trailer and you won’t have to mess with anything.”

Then, when he needed a bolt cutter... it was in the trailer.

After we came back down to the ranch with Elk, we put the meat bags into the chest freezer in the trailer.

He commented that he could use a cold beer.

I pulled a cooler out of the trailer along with a few camp chairs.

He said, “That trailer’s kind of handy. You’re smarter than you look.”

It burns more gas to haul one, but it keeps the truck open for the main drive and you have a garage on wheels wherever you have base camp.

I definitely wouldn’t haul it up where we go in the mountains.

Fullfan

WKR
We take three
Freezers, all the food we take is frozen in one. Others have gear packed in them. One Honda eu2000 will run them all. Run for about an hour a day after things get frozen and you are good.
Last year we brought 8 butchered elk home. Had to buy another freezer. Glad we had them.

Wheels

WKR
I second the Honda generator. I’ve got a portable toilet, but saw this one, might have to make one like it. Folds up nice and looks comfy.

Attachments

• B2955546-C4E4-43BB-BDDE-24B5D2E4552C.jpeg
    B2955546-C4E4-43BB-BDDE-24B5D2E4552C.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 21
For the towing portion, because I had a hell of time getting a couple trailers across the country this year:

Good tires (replace them if it’s been sitting long)
Spare tire/s (same thing)
Real jack that fits under the trailer
Battery operated impact
Basic tools where you can get to them

The only one of these things I had when shit went to hell was the impact. I have a nice handyman jack now, all new tires + 2 spares and some extra leaf spring parts leftover from the repairs I had to do in the tractor supply parking lot.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
If truck camping, we always bring a generator and microwave. Pre cook all the meals and microwave for supper after long days.

Jethro

WKR
Since we now bring a generator to run numerous cpap machines, we also started bringing a real drip coffee maker.

We keep packing until the truck and trailer are stuffed full.