Pulling Bullets

fatbacks

WKR
I have a bunch of loads that didn't show any promise and I pulled the bullets from the cases. What does everyone do when loading up those cases again? Do you run them through a full length sizing die again? Put in new primers?

Also, what's the best thing to do with the pulled bullets? I use a collet puller so they are in pretty good shape but I don't think I would trust them compared to a new bullet.

rodell

FNG
I shoot pulled bullets all the time (pulled with a RCBS collet puller). I've never seen any discernible difference between the pulled bullets and the "new" ones. I've never destroyed a bullet by pulling it apart, either, during the profess.

I always resize (at least the neck) after pulling. It is about consistency and I want all the loads to start in the same place. If you crimped, then you certainly need to resize. If not, it probably doesn't matter THAT much but it is a variable. The hardness of your brass will play a role as well.

16Bore

WKR
Just take out the decaping pin or else you’ll get quite a pop. Also VISUALLY inspect the cases to be sure there’s no powder in them. If it was a compressed load you might have to dig a little.

If you take primers out, do it sloooow and steady.

tdot

WKR
I inspect the neck and load again. If I'm pulling bullets, then I'm often working on a ladder test or some other part of load development. I will reuse the case and bullet at some early, less critical portion of the process. No specific reason other then I dont have to question results that I achieve closer to maximum pressure and/or closer to the final load.

Mike 338

WKR
Resize w/new primers. I'd keep the primers but the die pops them out. Consistent neck tension is important if your loading for accuracy so that's why I resize.

Wrench

WKR
If loading for accuracy, the neck will have been stretched and should be resized. As mentioned above, remove the de capping pin or toss the primer and go new.

if you are just pulling the bullet I see no reason to resize the case because the case is not expanding and the neck might by a couple of thousands no more than if you ran it threw a sizing die. Just my 2 cent

tdot

WKR
I was able to run a little experiment today. I had to pull 7 bullets this morning. Since I was loading up 50 fire forming loads, I reloaded those 7 bullets into the same cases.

I shot the 7 as a separate group. Velocity was with a lab radar. The group sizing and POI were very similar to other groups I shot, however Velocity ES increased from about 8fps to 30fps.

Chipz

FNG
I've pulled bullets by putting the case in my press, running it up on an empty die slot, and pulled with pliers.
(my frankford puller is ******* garbage)

I've reused the bullets and and velocity and groups were on par with non pulled ones. Any burrs on the jacket i will usually file off before loading again.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
if you are just pulling the bullet I see no reason to resize the case because the case is not expanding and the neck might by a couple of thousands no more than if you ran it threw a sizing die. Just my 2 cent

I’m on the same train of thought here. Pulling the bullet doesn’t expand the neck and re-seating another bullet of the same diameter should be the same neck tension. Having said that I finish all my rounds with a Lee factory crimp and that makes everything uniform.

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
I just pull the bullets, make sure all powder is removed form case and reload. I'm a bit paranoid so pulled bullets are used for range ammo.

rayporter

WKR
if you pull bullets and seat new bullets in the same brass with out resizing it will take less pressure to seat new bullets. you cant tell with an O press but you can with a hydroseater and even with plain wilson inlines and an arbor press.

many bullets, especially flat base bullets, have a larger base [pressure ring] which basically expands the neck as it enters. this is like running an expander mandrel into the neck and expanding it.

now what i cant measure is the pull force of them. which is really what matters.