Pulling oils out of euro mount

crich

WKR
I have a gator skull I did an initial simmer with oxyclean then powerwashed to clean up. Then went in a batch of 1:3 Softswim(strong peroxide) and water and another powerwash session. Gator heads are full of tiny nerve openings and are absolutely packed with meat all over the place. Im about 99% sure I got it all out wish a 1800psi washer and turbo tip. It then went into a 2 week soak of Acetone to pull anything else out. A month or so later I started getting very dark oil spots popping up. Thinking about repeating the oxy then peroxide washes but gently as to not weaken the skull. Anyone have other ideas?

Did a pig at the same time that came out great and theyre notorious for being very oily. Go figure...

Attachments

• 20200712_100318.jpg
    20200712_100318.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200712_100250.jpg
    20200712_100250.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 105
I’m no expert but the bear skull taxidermist I spoke to said it can take 6-9 months for a greasy bear skull. The acetone is supposed to be the best.

The other question is there stuck fat in those areas? I know the YouTube skull guy is very aggressive in cleaning. Probably because his turnaround per skull is so fast no time for extended degreasing. The aggressiveness includes breaking all the small bones, and punching holes in the skull where color shows. So no small details (like the sinus 😬) in his euro mounts but they are fast and clean.

here is a website I found on degreasing

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I’m no expert but the bear skull taxidermist I spoke to said it can take 6-9 months for a greasy bear skull. The acetone is supposed to be the best.

The other question is there stuck fat in those areas?

No fat that I can see. Possibly in a small orfice, hence the pressure washer. Oil seems to be seeping out from some of the thickest bones near the jaw hinge and brain area.

I appreciate the link

Dawn and an aquarium heater in a cooler is what I use. No problem getting my gators nice and white. I've also done it with other animals as well. Never had an issue... I don't simmer, though. I go the maceration route. My simmering attempts have always yielded chalky bone and permanent grease spots. It sucks when that gator winds up being in 100 pieces, though. EDIT: You could also try alternating degreasing solution. Acetone, then dawn, then ammonia. For a while there I used some commercial degreasing solution from Sams Club. It was purple and did a really good job, but Dawn is just about as good and cheaper.

Last edited:

WKR
Been experimenting this summer on two stubborn heads. One deer was macerated and one bear was boiled by another guy. So far after about 10 days at 135 degree dawn water, the deer is about perfect. The bear keeps degreasing. This heater unit burns way hotter than tank heaters so be sure to not let your water level get low.

I feel like this could be a very useful product for degreasing around 130-140 degrees in 5 gallon home depot buckets.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I have a taxidermist friend who does skulls with demesterid beetles. He swears by Dawn dish soap for degreasing skulls.... changes the water several times, and his skulls come out snow white.

I have a taxidermist friend who does skulls with demesterid beetles. He swears by Dawn dish soap for degreasing skulls.... changes the water several times, and his skulls come out snow white.

Like I said.... ;-)

Beetle colony also the bomb. Short of that, the only way (IMHO) to get close to museum grade quality is rot bucket, then lots of water change with dawn and heater near 100 degrees. Whiten with your h2o2 of method of choice. I like liquid and cloth as opposed to a paste.

JMDavies

WKR
I'd mix up baking soda to toothpaste consistency and spread it all over the skull and put it into a sealed plastic bag. Give it a few days for the concoction to fully dry and hose it off. That's how fat and grease is drawn out of granite.

WKR
Update on bear skull that was boiled years ago. It was so greasy I felt like the shelf it was sitting on may start to stain. After 4 water changes and 2 weeks in the 135 degree dawn water, it now appears to be totally white. Thinking the bump up from 90 degree water to 135 degree may cut degreasing time a bit.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
Update on bear skull that was boiled years ago. It was so greasy I felt like the shelf it was sitting on may start to stain. After 4 water changes and 2 weeks in the 135 degree dawn water, it now appears to be totally white. Thinking the bump up from 90 degree water to 135 degree may cut degreasing time a bit.
Thanks for the update. Did you use the heater in the link you provided?

WKR
Yes, that heater in the link was used. It can get very hot so make sure your water level never gets low. It really seemed to work great getting the oil out. It is too hot for maceration, I would only use it for degreasing work.

Pwrhd

FNG
Is it possible to pull oils out more than a year after the initial boil?

WKR
Yes, just drop the skull in the 5 gallon bucket, add dawn soap and let it slow cook. That heater I mentioned above seems to work great around 135-140 degrees. Change water every 2-3 days. Might take 3-4 weeks. No odor though and just takes patience.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, just drop the skull in the 5 gallon bucket, add dawn soap and let it slow cook. That heater I mentioned above seems to work great around 135-140 degrees. Change water every 2-3 days. Might take 3-4 weeks. No odor though and just takes patience.

You can add an aquarium water heater to help keep the water warm. Low risk heating approach. You can also add Oxiclean or borax to help with degreasing.

WKR
Thoughts on Borax vs Dawn for degreasing? Have not tried Borax yet.

Deezly

FNG
Interesting approach. I may try this method this year as I over heated a skull last time. Thanks for the ideas

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
crich

crich

WKR
Interesting approach. I may try this method this year as I over heated a skull last time. Thanks for the ideas

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I've watched whitebone creations videos probably 100 times on youtube and still seem to overheat everything I boil or simmer. It all ends up chalky even slightly. I haven't had time to try this yet but will definitely be giving it a shot.