Pulling vs. Carrying

First off I'll say I have very limited experience with equines so humor me. How much more/less weight can an equine pull vs. carry for an extended period of time? The pulling would be on single track into the back country mountains for hunting/ camping excursions. I have an idea in my head that I'd explore depending on the information I get here.
Thanks!

Werty

WKR
First off I'll say I have very limited experience with equines so humor me. How much more/less weight can an equine pull vs. carry for an extended period of time? The pulling would be on single track into the back country mountains for hunting/ camping excursions. I have an idea in my head that I'd explore depending on the information I get here.
Thanks!
This has horse wreck written all over it!

It would be helpful if there was more info with your question, too many variables without specifics.

OP
S
Werty, Think Burly bicycle trailer(Larger) made to be pulled by a horse/mule/donkey. For hairpin turns think NYC hook and ladder fire truck with a steering wheel that can turn the back wheel. The driver me stands on a small platform and does the steering while the equine pulls.

Werty

WKR
Werty, Think Burly bicycle trailer(Larger) made to be pulled by a horse/mule/donkey. For hairpin turns think NYC hook and ladder fire truck with a steering wheel that can turn the back wheel. The driver me stands on a small platform and does the steering while the equine pulls.
Have you ever been on horseback in the mountains before?

With your stated very little experience this isn’t something I would try, yes a horse can pull a lot more weight than they can carry with a wheeled cart. I.E. 1 horse pulling a wagon weighing roughly 1000lbs on a street with 6 adults and 2 kids, vs a horse carrying 125-225lbs comfortably of dead weight.

The thing is rough trails make it harder, uphill they have to pull, down hill they are the brakes as well, loose terrain, rocks, unless ur on the pavement Id cut the pulling weight in half. It also depends on length of pull, given breaks ETC.

Takes a lot to “train” a horse to drive (pull) I have done it, some horses do it fine others takes a lot to get them into it. Now you could buy a pre trained driving horse, but also remember it’s a full year commitment. You also need to worry about the horse in camp. Is the area ur going into have rules against wheeled vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WYELK83

FNG
Maybe pull a small log a short ways back to camp from a horse but that’s about it. Like others said, without experience this could be a train wreck.