Pullouts/Pack Organization

I'm looking to organize my pack with some pullouts. I am tired of using ziplocks and was curious as to how you guys organized in the pullouts (or something comparable) and what sizes. This setup will be for a 7 day backpack elk hunt in Wyoming this September.

Right now I am thinking:
Size L: Kill kit (with elk size game bags)
Size M: First aid kit
Size S: Toiletries/Crap kit

Other ideas for organization?

I do run a size large compression sack with sleep pad/pillow/slickbag/supertarp/stakes. I also still plan on using ziplocks for food organization...one ziplock ready to go per day...just grab and go.

Thanks for the help.

Very similar to what you have listed above - I use a Kifaru Mega pullout for my food. I use the daily ziplocks as well but put them into the Mega as I go in. I like being organized and the pullouts really help me accomplish it. Over the years I have really narrowed down what I bring in which helps - my first time was disaster with the amount of stuff I brought.

renagde

WKR
I use the Luxe Outdoor UL pullouts. Much cheaper then anyone else's for a comparable product. I use a medium for my kill kit, medium for my first aid, small for my electronics, and a small for my toiletries. I use a Kuiu bone out game bag for all my food and a Kuiu zippered dry bag for my clothes that i pack. I like the Kuiu bags for food because it doubles as a game bag if needed, and their bags are flat so even if packed full they fit into my pack very well.

I was able to get kill kit into a kifaru med including elk bags. going to some waterproof pullouts for my down and non waterproof gear this year

I use the Kifaru bags as well.

Small - first aid & fire kit
Med - kill kit
Large - ditty bag (possibles pouch)
Mega - food
Sea to summit large e-vent compression dry sack for my down sleeping bag.

My kill kit with deer size bags fits good in the medium. For elk size bags, it trades places with my ditty bag and it goes into the large.

My shit kit is still in a quart size ziplock.

Lawnboi

WKR
Dry bag for sleeping bag and pad
Dry bag for food
Dry bag for clothing
Dry bag for emergency kit

Kifaru Pull out for water filter.

I use dry bags, cause I don’t want wet stuff. A lightweight dry bag, possibly cuben, will keep it organized, dry and won’t hold water. I have a few kifaru pullouts but only use them for select things, like water filter, stove, stuff I don’t mind getting wet.

I also now prefer cuben dry sacs cause they soak up no water.

I’d caution you throwing the supertarp into your bag with your sleeping bag, most the time when I pack up my tarp has some condensation on it, same with stakes.

FlyGuy

WKR
I go back and forth with the pullouts. Still trying to dial it in. I’ve gotten rid of several, but these I keep.

I use the XS to keep all my just in case archery Kit (back up release, assortment of loose Alan wrenches, 2 field tips + small game tip + extra BH stuffed in an old plastic Rx bottle, etc.)

I also use an XS for digiscope Kit (phone case, adaptors for the optics I’m using, and Bluetooth shutter)

XS for 1st aid, but I don’t carry much.

The ones I’ve gotten rid of:

Food (1 ziplock per day) I now just keep these in the hanging bear bag (z-packs) so that’s one less pull-out

Water purification - I moved all this to a dedicated belt pouch. Once I went to a steripen + prefilter it worked better to leave it loose in the pocket.

Sleep system - On my last scouting trip I stopped carrying all the stuff sacks that came with my gear - sleeping pad, S2S pillow, and even my sleeping bag. This Fall we are hunting a wilderness unit and are planning to move camp every 1-3 nights, so I will have all this plus tyvek and supertarp in one large dry sack that I can drop (along with bear bag of food, hung of course) to quickly get rid of ~ 20 lbs and continue hunting.

Kill Kit - I had my kill kit in a pull-out, but now I just stuff everything into one of the 4 Kifaru boned-out bags that was already in my kit.

You can’t cheat the mountain

I use them. Mix them with stuff sacks and compression sacks. I fiddled with not using them but it drives me nuts to pack dive for my toothbrush or something stupid. A little bit of separation and organization keeps me sane and is worth a few ounces.

Previously my main bag was a Metcalf. Just picked up a beartooth so haven’t dialed the organization yet.

- compression sack with sleeping bag and inflatable pad and ground cloth (sometimes tarp too)
- compression sack with clothes
- kill kit in pull out.
- cooking pot and stove in stuff sacks
- tarp or tent in stuff sack (poles on outside of pack)
- food in stuff sack or pull out
- back country organizer (see below) holds first aid, hygiene, fire starting and other stuff that I like to have well organized
- pull out or stuff sack of possibles holds everything else
- fast access items go in lids or belt pouches.

I also carry a tub of misc gear in my truck bed that is organized using a lot of pullouts so I can grab stuff easily when needed. Portable blind material. Tree stand harness. Etc.

arnie

FNG
One little tip I've found useful is that I color code the zipper pulls on my Pullouts, so it's easy for me to recognize what's inside. Red for FA, yellow for food, green for clothes, etc.

Nice, stealing that

Reactions: XMP