Pump or semi auto for my boy?

Get something that he’ll be proud to own as an adult and that could some day be passed down as an heirloom. If you’re thinking about a shotgun as a first “real gun” for your 10 year old, make it special. Assuming that he will be responsible and respectful with it, I would be looking at a 20ga. double like a Browning Citori or something similar. My first shotgun was a Harrington and Richardson 20ga. single shot that I got when I was 13. I still have it and it’s still in great condition because I cherished it, but it’s a POS and will never be an heirloom or worth much more than the $50 that it was originally bought for 37 years ago. Anyway, that’s MO, take it for what it’s worth, which is much less than that H&R shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same gun my father was started on and then started me on. It's a great gun to teach how a gun works and firearm safety. I never remember worrying about recoil.

I would start him on a single, over/under or pump but that's just me. I went to an auto when I was 14 and ran that for a decade but have shot a pump for the last 8 years again now. Just can't beat the reliability.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
I was actually thinking of a 410 cause I started with a 410 bolt action and killed all kinds of stuff, but my buddy runs a gun store and when I went in there the other day, he said nobody buys 410’s any more. He said everyone goes straight to 20 for there kids nowadays.

I wouldn't concern myself with what everyone else does. Besides, I have a hard time believing that. I also wouldn't over look the .410. It's still around for a reason. Check out the Rossi circuit judge in .410. Thats a pretty neat gun that would have some heirloom properties.

Last edited:
I just went through this for my 10 and 12 year olds. We ended up settling on a 20 gauge semi auto Remington 1100. My kids shot a bunch of different guns and they ended up choosing based on the felt recoil. The Benelli montefeltro was my favorite but the recoil to harsh for them. They turned down over unders and pumps for the semi, but we do have an old single shot 20 that my youngest likes to carry because of its light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
Just an anecdote, but my first deer rifle (as a 12 y/o in Minnesota) was a semi Winchester 100 in .308. There were a few deer that were shot at a lot and hit a little. Young teen adrenaline is running high it can be good to require a deliberate action between shots.

Shraggs

WKR
If safe is more important then I would go double either over under or side by side. Recoil is damped with two barrels. Also I'd look for two triggers vs one. I think for a young shooter it make more sense and less to think about.

CZ has some options in fair prices guns and generally nice guns. Or a used Stevens

When he grows up, let him be part of the choice and explore what he likes. Pump semi auto etc.

2 cents

John

KJH

WKR
My boy was shooting a .410 pump until he was 10 (one round at a time) and then moved to a compact 870 20ga. He's glad he moved up once he did it. My son actually killed a fair number of geese with the .410, bunch of ducks, a turkey, more rabbits than I cared to clean.

My daughter started with a pump .410 but it was too short for her so she went right to a 28 O/U for upland and clays. She hunts with a pump 20ga now for ducks, geese, and turkeys. She uses a single shot 20ga with slugs for bear hunting. She's ready for a semi-auto now.

I kept my kids away from a semi-auto to start, and glad I did. Obviously safer, but also they couldn't just keep pulling the trigger and learned to aim between shots. I liked being able to look at a pump gun from a ways off and see the forearm back so I knew the bolt was open without seeing it.

Last edited: