Punching a Tag or Adventure? What’s more Important?

What’s more important? Punching a Tag or Adventure?

• Total voters

fshaw

WKR
I’ve hunted a lot of season and taken my fair share of game. I still carry a rifle instead of a camera but when I think of recent bunting seasons the first thoughts that come to mind are not typically of the animal killed. That comes a bit after some other memories.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Sometime's my primary concern is putting some meat in the freezer, other times its more about enjoying my time in the bush or really getting out there.

Interestingly, the two most challenging hunts I've done (1st solo bp goat and a solo bp griz grizzly hunt) are my two I most fondly remebered hunts and I didn't pull a trigger on either.

A close third was a goat hunt with my best friend where he too a billy.

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
I think the answer to this question GREATLY varies by where you live and hunt.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I think its a little bit of both, everyone wants to fill a tag. But for me the experience greatly outweighs the punched tag. I also dont want to shoot something just to shoot something. I have never come home from an unsuccessful out of state hunt and been upset about it.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I voted punching a tag. The adventure is the best part, but you never reach the summit without a filled tag. I could go hiking and save money. Cooking back strap months later is part of it too. Sure, I've learned a heck of a lot on trips where I ate tag soup, and I remember them. But the trips where you learn, and adapt and it helps fill the tag. That's the cherry on top.

From the fishing world, sunrises and sunsets are for those who don't catch fish. Sure they are beautiful, but that's not why you went out.

In Idaho I generally hunt the same areas that I know super well. This gives me the best chance at success, and it's always an adventure!

I apply in other states for that "Adventure" experience of hunting brand new country!

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes one or the other, and sometimes both. I kill stuff to eat it and could care less about trophies. That doesn’t mean the adventure and the process aren’t a significant priority.

This is pretty much my thoughts as well.

I love a good adventure as much as the next guy and have been lucky enough to be on some pretty epic ones but..... once the dust settles my family can't eat adventure, I'm looking to fill tags too.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I was telling my father in law how I didn't get a buck and he said I could go shoot one of the bucks that live in his back pasture. It was then I realized I don't hunt just to get a deer.

I got into hunting to shoot a deer. But now I hunt because it makes me feel alive.