Punk my list please!

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
Beat up my list! tell me you think i need to lose and add! I think this is up to date. Im sure im forgetting something tho... :p
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]CO 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Pack & Contents[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Pack[/FONT]

1. Mystery Ranch NICE 6500
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Clothing[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Sitka Coldfront Jacket [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Kuiu Chugach Pants[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Kuiu Guide Beanie[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Kuiu Spindrift Jacket[/FONT]
  5. Darn Tough Full cushion x2
  6. Sitka Traverse Shirt (Cache)
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Bow[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Elite Answer[/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Easton FMJ 340 W/Slick Trick Mags (10)[/FONT]
      3. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Carter Chocolate Addiction[/FONT]
      4. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]TightSpot Quiver[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Optics[/FONT]

1. Swarovski EL 10x32 Binoculars
    2. Zeiss Spotting Scope 20-60x85 FL
    3. Leupold Tripod
    4. Leupold Rx-1000TBR Rangefinder
    5. Digital Camera
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Sleeping Gear[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hilleberg Akto[/FONT][/FONT]
      2. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Marmot Helium in Sea to summit ultra-sil[/FONT][/FONT]
      3. Thermarest neoair
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Food[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Mtn house meal per day[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Peanut Butter Honey Bacon Bagel per day[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Dried Fruit[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Coffee (VIA packets)[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]WA mix's[/FONT]
  6. Honey Stinger assortment
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Equipment[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Carter Chocolate Addiction (Spare)[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Arrow Tube (Cache)[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Grizz Snuff ;)[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]First Aid Kit/ Survival Kit/ Kill Kit[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]CamelBack 3L w/Sawyer Inline Filter [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Silva Compass[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Map of Area[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]6in Custom Knife[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Havalon Piranta Knife w/blades[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Compactor Bags[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]50' 550 cord[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]20oz Bottle of TTC "Trophy Taxidermy Care" (Cache)[/FONT]
  13. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Leatherman (Cache)[/FONT]
  14. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Petzl TacTikka Headlamp[/FONT]
  15. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]JetBoil SOL w/ 1 Canister Fuel[/FONT]
  16. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Titanium Spork[/FONT]
  17. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter (Cache)[/FONT]
  18. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Bic Mini Lighter x2[/FONT]
  19. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Blastmatch[/FONT]
  20. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Crocs [/FONT]
  21. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Preperation H medicated wipes[/FONT]
  22. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Toothbrush & Toothpaste[/FONT]
  23. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]TAG Game Bags[/FONT]
  24. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]CO Tags & Regs[/FONT]
  25. MSR Dromedary (Cache)
  26. Garmin Rhino
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Worn[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Kuiu Attack Pants[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Kuiu 185 Merino Shirt[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Kuiu Guide gloves[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Scarpa Triolet Pro GTX W/Orthosoles [/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Polarized Sunglasses[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Baseball Cap/Kuiu Merino Beanie[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Watch[/FONT]
    8. [FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Darn Tough Socks[/FONT]

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think overall it is pretty good. I would throw in some game bags though unless you are going for a hike only. Not much on there that I see is a luxury item or something you may not need. Many times people will suggest things they take that are personal preference more than a necessity.

littlebuf

Banned
that cold front gear is really heavy and not very packable.great gear but if your putting it on your back make sure its absoultly nessicary.other wise your packing it around for piece of mind not real world application

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are good ones....just a thought, but you could sell that MR6500, buy a Kifaru Timberline and save 4+ pounds. I am a fan of Kifaru though, but MR makes good stuff, bulletproof if need be....

OP
C

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
@Littlebuf im with ya in a way... its not the lightest rain gear out there, but it kinda serves a dual purpose. basically im toting another 23ish ounces in rain gear to ditch a softshell jacket. Not to mention that coldfront will take some serious shit if needed.

RosinBag... i know, i know... butttt, the ol bomber MR has rode with me quite a few miles and shows no signs of givin up so i dont know if i can let 'er go... besides, if i gotta ride or roll one down a mtn i want it to be a MR lol

Last edited:

bowinhand

WKR
A couple questions.

When are you going?

How long are you going for?

How far in are you going?

How well do you know the water sources in the area?

IMO you could go without the coldfront pants with the gaiters and attack pants.
The jerky although lite doesn't pack alot of calories and takes a lot of water to digest.
If water is scares consider bringing another container.
10 arrow sounds like alot even for extras.
How many pairs of guide gloves?
TP/Baby wipes?
Soap to go with your towel?
Reflective flagging tape?
Zip ties?

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
List looks good, I would probably ditch the Leatherman and the 6" custom (I'm picturing a heavy built knife here..could be wrong)

You have a Havalon...For a spare knife I'd probably just take a small folding pocket knife.. Take this for what it's worth, I consider myself still a little green as far as the learning curve of what gear gets left at home...

OP
C

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
BOWINHAND;

Early-Mid Sept.

10-14 days

getting packed in a ways, dropping some items, (arrows and tube, leatherman, etc etc) then goin from there on foot ;).

Water should be sufficient, but i have a dromedary water bag on standby. waiting for confirmation on it lol.

Im with ya on the jerky thing, but i realllly like jerky...

Ive seen a fella fall and bust all of his arrows in a quiver, so i figure its a peace of mind to have in my "cache"

1 pair of Guide gloves.

The Prep H wipes take care of everything TP/babywipe wise. i dont even have hemorrhoids, but those wipes are pure amazing!

Im giving that dehydrated soap a whirl this year, its in with my first aid kit

No flagging tape, may throw a bit in tho for sure!

@BuckSnort
Its a chunky knife, but has that damn sentimental thing going on :/... Havent quite decided on the leatherman. leaning towards not taking it.

G Posik

WKR
A couple of things you might consider,
1. Bic lighter leave home, get a wind proof lighter and or H2O proof matches.
2. Some type of saw to cut the leg bones, read the early season tactics article on this site. The hunter forgot that and was walking around with the entire leg.
3. Chap stick
4. Spare batteries for anything needing batteries
5. Hand warmers com in handy for heating the fuel can on the jetboil.
6. Pen, small note pad
7. Velcro straps misc sizes (@3 total)
8. GPS

Other than that you are pretty close to my current list.

Glenn

Mike7

WKR
Agree, probably don't need the coldfront pants with the other things you have. I would take just a small Leatherman and the Havalon (the Leatherman can help repair gear, has a backup blade for you, and is nice to have for changing Havalon blades). I would throw in 1-2 backup grocery store type virtually weightless plastic water bottles in case the camelbak bites it...I never had a problem with camelbaks until 2 came apart on me in back to back years (although one I had let my son borrow so that might be expected even without a manufacturer's defect). Two other things I really like having are: 1) I would bring my Thermarest Ridgerest over my BA Aircore or bring both, as the Ridgerest is a great seat for glassing from wet ground/rocks and it will protect your BA mattress from puncture (a pared down Ridgerest is very light and additionally if you have to sleep on snow, I find my BA Aircore is fairly cold if the Ridgerest is not placed on top of it). 2) And I like to have some very light waterproof breathable mitten shells (I think mine are from REI, just make sure to seam seal them) which are great to slip over the guide gloves when it's raining/snowing and you're not moving.

OP
C

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a gps, but rarely use it. It might make its way into my pack. Doubt it tho. Map is way lighter. Lol

I use a blastmatch that I trust a lot and build all my fires with. It's hard to kill a bic, they don't weigh enough to make me flinch for the convienence.

Ican get the leg at the joint or with my bigger knife and rock if need be. I generally bone all my meat out anyhow.

I used to tote spare batteries but gave up on it in the last couple years. I just make sure I have fresh lithiums when I start and don't worry about it. Might get me one day. It's a gamble I suppose.

I've never used Chapstick really. Hate the feeling of it anytime I've tried it.

Thanks for the input so far! I'm kinda stubborn in my ways, but it's great to hear opinions!
I should add a notepad an pen. Thanks! I have the memory of a hamster...

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
Have you changed the blades in the Havalon yet?

I would suggest taking something to change blades cause the fat, blood and tired fingers can make things sketchy. I am sure I could change them without pliers but I am not going to take a chance of having an accident with those blades!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am with you Critter, I have never carried a saw to break down an animal. My Havalin van do it all.

As far as changing blades, I always use a small portion of a stick to pry them up and off. The Havalin is not something you want to make a mistake with 5 miles from the truck.

littlebuf

Banned
@Littlebuf im with ya in a way... its not the lightest rain gear out there, but it kinda serves a dual purpose. basically im toting another 23ish ounces in rain gear to ditch a softshell jacket. Not to mention that coldfront will take some serious shit if needed.

RosinBag... i know, i know... butttt, the ol bomber MR has rode with me quite a few miles and shows no signs of givin up so i dont know if i can let 'er go... besides, if i gotta ride or roll one down a mtn i want it to be a MR lol

cold front is hands down the best jacket i have ever owned.that being said i just sold mine.as goos as it was i couldnt justify the weight and lack of being able to pack it well.if your hunting early/mid september the cold front is over kill for sure.even if the weather turns a little south.the jacket i could see taking if its really waht you like to wear but the pants i think you will find are dead weight