Pup Eating Doves

*zap*

WKR
This is completely false. A table is Definitely not needed.
I will just disagree on that....just from the factor of how much easier it is to work with the dog when it is on an elevated table and you have both hands free. With all the varied results that people think are adequate there are bound to be differences of opinion. I always started by feeding the dog on the table for a while until they were excited about getting on....if they liked to be groomed I would also do that. Lots of praise/positive reinforcement. One thing at a time until the animal was confident with that. Anyway, good luck fellas.

Last edited:

slick

WKR
Hahaha. Love dog training Q's everyone's right for their dog, but maybe not right for someone else's style, approach, or comfortableness.

To each their own- OP I truly wish you the best, I personally think any and all methods mentioned above will work in some way shape or form. Take all of this, formulate a plan, work with your dog, and if something doesnt work try something else. Good luck dude.

OP
Banded_spooney
Hahaha. Love dog training Q's everyone's right for their dog, but maybe not right for someone else's style, approach, or comfortableness.

To each their own- OP I truly wish you the best, I personally think any and all methods mentioned above will work in some way shape or form. Take all of this, formulate a plan, work with your dog, and if something doesnt work try something else. Good luck dude.
Thanks man

I will just disagree on that....just from the factor of how much easier it is to work with the dog when it is on an elevated table and you have both hands free. With all the varied results that people think are adequate there are bound to be differences of opinion. I always started by feeding the dog on the table for a while until they were excited about getting on....if they liked to be groomed I would also do that. Lots of praise/positive reinforcement. One thing at a time until the animal was confident with that. Anyway, good luck fellas.
Not saying a table isn’t a useful tool, especially with a hard headed dog or if your dog is a dumbass. But saying it’s a necessity is just plain false.

simpson

FNG
My Brittany wanted to eat the first 2 dove retreieves of the year. She was held back on the following volleys and I retrieved the birds. On the first retrieve following her atttempting to eat the birds i met her halfway on the retrieve and walked her back to our spot. I then had her hold for a couple minutes. She hasn't tried to eat a bird since.

eamyrick

WKR
Have a 3 year old British Lab that is a rock star now. I tried the positive reinforcement methods and they worked for 90% of training except chewing on birds and taking a victory lap when retrieving. An e-collar solved both in a day or two. He wears it now but I never have to use it.

OP
Banded_spooney
I always think advise threads should have an update for those that participated:

Froze a few doves and waited for her to get off her cycle.
Played short toss for 20 retrieves with varying lengths of holds between each. 30-90 seconds per retrieve sitting at heel holding.

Flawless and soft mouth until the last three when the birds started to thaw and skin was breaking (meat showing) she got a little chompy. Quick sharp verbal corrections and she stopped immediately. That scares me a bit for when we aren’t in a controlled environment but I think overall tonight as a success.

OP
Banded_spooney
Also I had to put my 14 yo female down last week so that sucks. Hopefully the new one is half the dog Tyra was

slick

WKR
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for the update. Something about doves that pups can hate

OP
Banded_spooney
Duck season update: she’s been an absolute stud. Can’t be left alone in he truck with dead birds otherwise they disapear. But in the field she has been better than I could ask for in her first season.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Duck season update: she’s been an absolute stud. Can’t be left alone in he truck with dead birds otherwise they disapear. But in the field she has been better than I could ask for in her first season.

Kick ass. I think its important to have high expectations and goals for a dog that really shows potential but on the flip side of that also have realistic expectations about year 1 and take some notes on what needs to be polished during the off season.