Purchasing a Weatherby Outfitter in 270 WM or 7 mm Wm

I need some help in making this decision as to what is the better caliber between the 270 WM or the 7 mm WM. Does anybody on this site have experience with accuracy issues, on these two calibers. I intend to use Weatherby ammunition and I favor Nosler Partition bullets. A long shot for me might be 500 yards. Thanks for your help.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
If you ever decide to hand load or look at bullets besides the partition there are tons of excellent high BC 7mm bullets.
Also you might try asking in the firearms subsection

OP
M
Thanks for the reply. I have not reloaded in 20 years but maybe it is something I need to consider. Weatherby ammunition appears to be quite expensive. I am leaning toward the 7 mm WM but it appears that caliber ammunition is not as available as the 270 WM at Cabela’s or Midway USA.

Neither are technically "WM's". Pros for both...

270 is a personal fav. Light recoil, throws 130/140's with authority (which is plenty for anything in lower 48). Barrel longevity, Find ammo anywhere, and likely multiple variations.

7mm Rem - Load way up or way down. Light on the "belted magnum" scale and recoil, although much more signficant than the 270 is still less than the heavier belted mags. More versatile than the 270 in terms of bullet offerings. High BC bullets.

If reloading you could compromise between the two and shoot a 280 rem or even better 280 AI

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd probably go with the 270. I have an ultral ightw eight in 300wby and I wish it was a 257 or 270.

2five7

WKR
Personally, if I'm buying a Weatherby rifle, It's going to be in a Weatherby caliber.

The 270 weebee is more popular so ammo is easier to find. I am a weatherby fan and think you have a great choice. They have the accuracy guarantee and recently did some upgrades like a new trigger and reshaping the stock slightly. I just bought a new ultralight in their relatively new 6.5-300.

Bsnyder

WKR
Wife shoots a 7wby she loves but if I could do it over id do the 270 die to the fact she running a 140 gr Barnes out of hers and the 270 wby is not far behind it as far as speed goes but this is hand loads

2five7

WKR
It will be a 270 Weatherby Magnum or a 7 mm Weatherby Magnum. I should not have abbreviated using WM.
Gotcha. Either will do fine, 270 with 150's will have slightly less recoil. The 7mm with 160's would be a better choice for larger animals like Elk, but not by a large margin.

OP
M
Thanks for the recommendations! I decided to go with the 7mm Weatherby Magnum as the bullet choices are a little better. Found a new OUTFITTER RC from Elk County Ammo and Arms for a Reasonable price and went with it. Looks like I will have to start reloading again as ammunition for this caliber really expensive.