Purring Mouth Call

wayoh22

WKR
Anyone have any tips or tricks on purring with a mouth call? Have been watching Scott Ellis videos and anything on youtube but can't seem to get it down. Feel like I have to really forcefully blow air to make my vibrate and even then I can't get a sound. Thanks.

bsnedeker

WKR
Glad I'm not the only one! Not sure how useful purring really is, but I still want to figure it out!

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Glad I'm not the only one! Not sure how useful purring really is, but I still want to figure it out!

Exactly! Don't necessarily need it but I'd like to be able to do it incase a gobbler gets hung up and needs some extra persuasion.

It’s a very useful call. I think the best way is to make a “gargling” sound with the back of your throat. The other way is to flutter your lips. Primos has a good YouTube video on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I use the “lip flutter” technique. It’s kind of like a mallard feeder call. Hens use it all the time communicating to each other when close. It’s really crazy how much noise they actually make while feeding together. I use it to keep things sounding real when a tom hangs just outside range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use the back of my throat to purr. To me, it sounds better than the lip flutter. Feeding purrs and fighting purrs are very important sounds to know how to make, to me.

I love Wilbur but, I have yet to hear a live turkey purr like the expert call manufacturers do on YouTube. I find it easier to mimic the purr with my mouth alone.

bradb

WKR
VERY useful call. I think the best sound is back of the throat. I dont' do the back of the throat very good, so tent to use the tongue fluttering the tip on the reed more. still works very effective

Thee "feeding" purr is a very quiet call which is why most people of never heard it. You need to be close. Like 20 yards or less.. now a fighting purr is loud. I quite purr with the my throat. Its like rolling yours R's in spanish. Fighting purrs are easier with the lips. Feeding purr and soft clucks to get them to close the distant. Fighting purs with some sharp clucks and cuts to fire them up and get them to gobble.

Turkeys do a lot of purring.

Make the pigeon sound with your mouth. Then do it with a diaphragm in your mouth. It definitely shouldn't feel like it takes a lot of pressure, if it does a different reed may be the answer for you.