Putting an archery plan together

49plates

FNG
Was looking to see if I could get some advice for my upcoming archery hunt. I’m taking nine days to hunt general units here in Montana close to home.

Since moving back to elk country 2 years ago I have been spending more and more time hunting each season. I have been successful in filling my tag with cows during rifle season but that is mainly due to access to private land and really nothing to do with skill. Last season was my first time really venturing into the backcountry to hunt during both rifle and archery. This year I want to commit to hunting public lands until the end of rifle and would be happy taking any elk especially during archery season. I have five days blocked out during the late season to work on filling the freezer if it comes to that.

What I’m hoping to get some advice on is how to plan out my days. I have been working through Elk101 and the ElkNut app and feel relatively confident with my basic cow calling and bugling. I’m confident with my bow with broadheads on out to 50 yards. I think that should leave a whole host of options available including a bit of run and gun, cold calling and glassing for ambush/spot and stalk. What I don’t have the experience to know is when to employ what tactic. Do you guys have a general way you break the day up. For example ambush feeding areas first thing in the morning and then move to cold calling set ups later in the day. Also do you make an attempt to move through all the spots you e scout early in the hunt or methodically move from one spot to another. For instance spend a day or two and if no encounters move vs. spending a morning or evening at a few different spots and then settle on a spot to focus on.

Move until I find the elk, then build a game plan from there.

This year I think I will be doing some night bugling as well