Putting an Outdoorsman's Stud in Places a Stud Isn't Meant to Go

ChrisAU

WKR
So, I have a really narrow IPD, 57mm. This has really limited me when looking at 12x+ binos. There are some models out there that will work, but they are few and far between and mostly on the very expensive side. The limiting factor with some is that I LOVE my Outdoorsman's tripod system, and sometimes the IPD of a bino is affected by the stud, such as here on some Leupold BX-4 12x50's I wanted to love but couldn't make work:

025e15d3-d282-44ea-a34d-47a31913d683-jpeg.193931

I've taken to wanting to try out Burris Signature HD 12x50's for their 57mm minimum IPD, 24.3 oz weight, and they are made in Japan vs China, but one problem - the dual hinge design will definitely pose the same problem as the Leupold BX-4's:

61bZYQdJkrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

So, I've been thinking...what if I could attach an Outdoorsman's stud on the inside of the front hinge, like Swaro ELs:

IMG_5841.jpg.52ac49f3b5a9fb17a3305439e29d412e.jpg

I'd think there would be two ways to go about it, and that's what I'd like your thoughts on.

1 - Drill a small pilot through the hinge from the existing 1/4-20 hole on the front, then ream that out to allow the threaded portion of the outdoorsman's stud to hopefully reach the existing threaded portion. If it didn't, a bushing may be necessary.

2 - A clamp and a dab of JB weld on the back of an Outdoorsman's stud with the threaded portion cut off.

I swear I've seen someone here do something similar to #1. @Newtosavage was it you?

Superdoo

WKR
I know it's kind of a pain, but have you tried using the Vortex style mounts? You would have to screw and unscrew every time you used the mount, but the thin metal "blade" design of them wouldn't limit your IPD as much.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I know it's kind of a pain, but have you tried using the Vortex style mounts? You would have to screw and unscrew every time you used the mount, but the thin metal "blade" design of them wouldn't limit your IPD as much.

I have used those in the past. Step back from Outdoorsman's in stability though.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The more I use the Leica/Swarovski style tray with the rubber strap over the top, the more I like them.

I’d try grinding down the outdoorsmans post before drilling a hole in your binos. Should be able to thin it out towards the top where it makes contact.