Putting an Outdoorsman's Stud in Places a Stud Isn't Meant to Go

I’d try grinding down the outdoorsmans post before drilling a hole in your binos. Should be able to thin it out towards the top where it makes contact.
+1 permanently modify and void the warranty on the $20 part before the $500 part… or just go the Bino Hand route

LaHunter

WKR
Do 10X42 binos have the same issues for you when used with the Outdoorsman attachment? I would try smaller binos before modifying the hinge of my current set. Drilling and JB weld on binos just doesn’t sound right

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Do 10X42 binos have the same issues for you when used with the Outdoorsman attachment? I would try smaller binos before modifying the hinge of my current set. Drilling and JB weld on binos just doesn’t sound right
No because inherently the 42mm objective binos have smaller barrels than 50mm+. I have 8x42's and 10x42's I use with no issue. I want some 12's to work is all.

No because inherently the 42mm objective binos have smaller barrels than 50mm+. I have 8x42's and 10x42's I use with no issue. I want some 12's to work is all.
What about 12x42’s? Not just NL’s, Maven C1 12x42’s are pretty darn good. You lose maybe a few minutes of light compared to 12x50’s. Or you could step up to 12x56 or 15x56 (especially if you mainly want to mount them) and there’s a lot more options with a lot of IPD flexibility

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
What about 12x42’s? Not just NL’s, Maven C1 12x42’s are pretty darn good. You lose maybe a few minutes of light compared to 12x50’s. Or you could step up to 12x56 or 15x56 (especially if you mainly want to mount them) and there’s a lot more options with a lot of IPD flexibility

I tried 12x42 Nikon Monarch 5's. Work fine IPD wise, my main draw to these Burris 12x50's is 24.3 oz weight. Get the weight of a 42 with the low light capability of a 50. Of course a 12x42 NL Pure will be better, but even they are 28 oz. And a little pricey. I do have Maven 12x42's on the radar to scratch the 12x itch if I have to.

Kinda disappointed, and proud at the same time, of the Rokslide community not encouraging me to mutilate some equipment for the sake of science ha.

I tried 12x42 Nikon Monarch 5's. Work fine IPD wise, my main draw to these Burris 12x50's is 24.3 oz weight. Get the weight of a 42 with the low light capability of a 50. Of course a 12x42 NL Pure will be better, but even they are 28 oz. And a little pricey. I do have Maven 12x42's on the radar to scratch the 12x itch if I have to.

Kinda disappointed, and proud at the same time, of the Rokslide community not encouraging me to mutilate some equipment for the sake of science ha.
Imo quality optics are one of the few things that pay dividends that consistently surpass the investment in weight and $$$. And while I’m all for science, JB welding up a stud to the back of the hinge doesn’t sound like a reliable solution

But if you have decent 8’s and 10’s what exactly are you trying to get out of lightweight 12’s? I can’t think of a ton of use cases where you wouldn’t be better served carrying your 8’s or 10’s plus 15’s or spotter.

Pro953

WKR
Not the popular opinion but I have a pretty narrow IP as well. On some of my earlier 10x50 vortex Viper HD’s they have a rubberized coating. I just cut away some of that rubberized coating and I gained the extra movement I needed. If they had a rigid case/coating I would probably go for the grinder option on the post. The outdoorsman stuff is pretty bulletproof so a little grinding on the post is not going to impact the overall durability in my opinion.

Narrow eyes suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk