Pyro Putty Review

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, picked this up at the Phone Skope booth (they sell it) at EXPO.

I think I like it better than trioxane, as long as it doesn't degrade over time. Here's a five minute video on two fires I built in pretty bad conditions:

2/25/19 adding a few updates since I posted this:

*Update! In the video, I used Pyro Putty summer blend rated at 20-100 degrees. The temp this day was near the lower limit of 20 degrees. The Pyro Putty Winter Blend is rated from 0-70 degrees and could perform better at the test temps. They are sending me some to test and I'll post the results.

3/2/19 Update, here video showing Winter, Summer Blends vs. Trioxane using steel striker. It works!

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you pick up any of the blue color winter blend? Their website didn’t say much other than it being easier, softer for cold weather but I’m curious it lights easier or burns longer/hotter?

Trial153

WKR
wondering if there is any restrictions on this for airline travel.

edit...I just checked southwest, juts for an example, this would be prohibited in you carry or baggage.

going to order some anyway, looks like it will good to have.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Let us all know what you think once you give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger619

WKR
Their site says up to 30 fires with a 2 oz. can and up to 30 fires with a .5 oz can. It seems like it should be different. I am assuming it its the same stuff in each can. Is anyone from Phone Skope able to clarify?
Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Their site says up to 30 fires with a 2 oz. can and up to 30 fires with a .5 oz can. It seems like it should be different. I am assuming it its the same stuff in each can. Is anyone from Phone Skope able to clarify?
Thanks
Yes I saw both sizes at the expo. They are the same except in different sized cans.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the video Robby! Is it greasy like vaseline? Does it get runny or goopy when it's warm in the can? I watched the video and it didn't appear to perform much differently than what I use: cotton balls with vaseline. The cottonballs do light easily with a striker/rod, I'd like to know if this pyro putty does also. I see from the website info that the orange stuff is the "summer blend". I wonder how differently the three types perform and/or hold up over time in the little can.

Agree that we need more info on the different blends. Cotton balls and vasoline are super easy, cheap and work. The heat can make them a mess if they leak out of the container. If this product does not do that and works the same, it will be a hit imo.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good questions everybody, I’ve got an email out to phone skope right now asking about the different blends.

For who asked on the consistency of it, it’s similar to silly putty but a little more grainy if it makes sense. It’s sticky, not greasy. And the temperatures I was testing in were in the upper teens, and it was still pliable.

I put it in a can of 150 ° water for five minutes and it didn’t seem to change the consistency much. Got a little greasy and more pliable, but far from melting
0a9ae06d981b6dc5cc59776dcb56d027.jpg

29daf1714bed9f07bb1bec05d961a87d.jpg

Someone asked about if it would light with a ferrol rod, I assume that is a striker rod? No, it won’t. I tried it. It’s even a little hard to light with a lighter. It does not light as easy as trioxane (which will light with a striker rod).

Comparing burn times, I lit a piece the size of a penny. At room temp, it burned almost exactly three minutes, yellow flame. I lit a similar sized piece of trioxane and it burned 3:10 , blue flame. Don’t know anything about color/temp relationships in flames.
Non-scientific test as I didn’t weigh the samples.

For those of you asking about cotton balls and the like, I have honestly never use them so I can’t compare. I like things I can buy not have to make, as it never fails the night before the season if I have to make something, that’s when I end up doing it (like my reloading). From what I understand posted, sounds like the cotton balls and Vaseline well do you just as good. Except for in warm temperatures when everything melts. I’ve been a trioxane user for 20 years, so that’s all I have to compare it to.

I’ll let you know what PS says on the blends.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robby, I’m sure you have better things to do than play with fire (or do you ;) could you try lighting it with storm matches?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, I’m sure you have better things to do than play with fire (or do you ;) could you try lighting it with storm matches?

Sure but what are storm matches? I just have the wooden kind