Pyrodex Pellets VS Blackhorn 209

Hunthigh1

WKR
I am pretty new to muzzleloading. I have only shot pyrodex pellets so-far, and have alot to work on when it comes to accuracy.

What are the primary performance differences between the two? Am i missing out on anything by using the pyrodex pellets?
They are so darn easy and convenient that i feel there has to be a catch. . .

-I hunt Washington and Idaho
-Gun: CVA accura V2 NW edition .50 cal
-I use percussion caps
-I am open to trying different bullets

Thanks for your knowledge. Hitting the range this weekend to try to improve my groups, and try some new bullets.

Also open to bullet suggestions for elk/deer

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
well, that rules that on out for me. I also see now that idaho does not allow pelleted powder....

So, what do you guys prefer for powder when running loose powder?

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to triple 7 for loose,105g with Powerbelts. not as Smokey or smelly as the pyrodex pellets. Never had a misfire same gun and same limitations although 209 conversion kits are around and Washington legal now. Haven’t changed because musket caps have never let me down yet.

BH209 probably won't work with your percussion caps--- can you go up to a musket cap maybe? I haven't read anything on BH209 and those but the hotter the better to get that stuff to ignite.

If it won't work then I would give loose 777 a chance. Anything that is loose that you measure out yourself will be more consistent than the pellets.