Pyromid Grill/Stove

sbsyncro

FNG
I'm one of the lucky few that has an original Pyromid stove (I've had it since the mid-90's). For those of you not familiar, they look like this:

058645535587674b5107c20e220a92f4c9f91340_l.jpg

And fold down flat into about a 5/8" thick stack that slides into the base. Ultra efficient, they will cook an entire meal for two on a couple of briquettes (I once slow-cooked 4 quail over a couple of pine cones!) They came originally in an 11" version, a 15" version, and a "Duo" version. here was also an oven/smoker box that could be stacked on top as I recall.

Anyway, every time someone sees it, they always ask where they can find one. I generally say "you can't unless you want to spend $200 on eBay". I'd love to know if anyone has ever seen something similar that is still in production somewhere.

I'm really curious why no one ever picked up this design and began making it again, what with all the cheap stamped stainless stoves coming out of China nowadays... About 20 years ago (IIRC) the company sold to "EcoQue" but they were only made under that brand for a short while. I spoke with the original owner of the company just before that transition and it sounded like it was a simple matter of there not being enough market demand. The stove was originally designed for developing countries and disaster relief scenarios, where efficient use of fuel for cooking can be so critical. There were some contracts with NGOs and even a military contract, IIRC, but it simply wasn't enough to sustain the company, apparently.

If anyone has one or has information on anything similar they have seen, please post up here - I didn't see any other threads after a quick search.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Looks interesting. Not sure how it works. Can you post a few more pics (e.g., open, etc).

I’ve got mine packed away right now but I’ll try to remember to take it out and snap a few pix.

Essentially it is two pyramids with the top 1/3 cut off. One pyramid sits in a normal orientation to form the base and the other is inverted and rests inside the opening created by the cut off top of the lower pyramid. A perforated stainless sheet sits inside the very bottom of this top inverted part (forming the fire starter shelf). Then another slotted sheet that is slightly larger sits a few inches above that and holds the fuel. Then at the very top sits a 12” perforated sheet that forms the grilling surface.

Mine also has a folding hood with two flaps that sits on the grill and provides about 3” of space above the grill. You regulate air flow by opening one or both flaps on this top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk