Q&A for SWFA SS 6x MQ Field Eval

qotsa23

FNG
Thanks for evaluating the 6x, Form. It was your rec that got me to try one last year and it's a great value.

You have 2? Both been used pretty extensively?
One has been thoroughly tested for RTZ and tracking and has been in use over a year and hasn’t missed a beat, spending a lot of time bouncin around on a quad and 4wd The other is new and seems fine, it zeroed as expected but hasn’t done any real work yet

Reactions: Stu

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
@Stu @Castle Rock

I got in touch with Athlon and they won't support testing in any way; warranty refund on failure, warranty replacement, or a test unit loan.
Thanks for trying. Think I’ll leave good enough alone with the 6Xs. If I’m not careful, I’ll take something that’s not broke and fix it until it’s broken.

RussDXT

WKR
Or they think I am a jackass. 50/50 split there.

They said they "already have a large number of products in the field for testing and evaluation".

You have faith in your product or you don’t. They obviously don’t. If your putting it on a gun for looks go for it. I just don’t see any reason to call them trustworthy.

Bones

WKR
Sorry I am late to the conversation here, but I have felt for a while that I would be happy with the compact NXS in FFP. I would be thrilled with a Ti lighter option, but something 21oz bombproof FFP would be great. I have a 3-9 swfa and like it, but I am too vain. I just don’t love it with the bulky turrets. I have an UL swfa on a Forbes .308, and have liked it for a light scope, but haven’t beat on it too much.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That’s how to do it.

There are times that the fine cross hairs won’t be truly visible, but bracketing works well enough.
I got the reticle dialed in, no issues. I’d say the only time it’s still giving me slight fits with the fine cross hair is at VERY close targets/objects that are dark. Nothing detrimental. First big game hunt with the scope started yesterday…

Really surprised with the low light sight picture with this scope. I was out in a 30 acre clearing, in the whitetail woods last night and watched 25 deer come in after legal shooting light. I spent about 30 minutes after legal light getting sight pictures on different deer and dry firing. As close as 50 yards and as far out as 350 yards. Did not have a single issue at all putting the crosshair where I needed it.

Same thing this morning, some does and fawns came in well before legal shooting light. 30 yards out to 400 yards. Not an issue putting the cross hairs on any of them and dry firing.

Hoping for a first kill with the scope tomorrow morning.

When set at 300’ish basically everything is in focus and parallax is minimal across the whole range. When set at 500 or infinity, you can see that the picture isn’t quite clear.
At least with my several swfa fixed (6x, 10x, and 12x) the parallax adjustment is needed/noticeable at sub 300 yards for precision.Ie, if the parallax is set at 300 but the target is at 50 yards, I can set the rifle stationary and while moving my head slightly back and forth while looking through the scope, i can see up to 3moa of apparent reticle movement relative to the target. Adjusting the parallax down for the closer range locks it in though. Probably not as necessary for shooters who have mastered keeping the same cheekweld/eye relief with each shot, but for verifying zero, shooting small 100 yard groups from a bench, or teaching young shooters, I find it helpful to dial the parallax at shorter ranges. Also I would point out, the numbers on the dial do not exactly correspond to yardage on target, and for finding precise parallax, I use the number on the dial to get close, but then fine tune with my eye in the scope looking at the down range target.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
At least with my several swfa fixed (6x, 10x, and 12x) the parallax adjustment is needed/noticeable at sub 300 yards for precision.Ie, if the parallax is set at 300 but the target is at 50 yards, I can set the rifle stationary and while moving my head slightly back and forth while looking through the scope, i can see up to 3moa of apparent reticle movement relative to the target. Adjusting the parallax down for the closer range locks it in though. Probably not as necessary for shooters who have mastered keeping the same cheekweld/eye relief with each shot, but for verifying zero, shooting small 100 yard groups from a bench, or teaching young shooters, I find it helpful to dial the parallax at shorter ranges. Also I would point out, the numbers on the dial do not exactly correspond to yardage on target, and for finding precise parallax, I use the number on the dial to get close, but then fine tune with my eye in the scope looking at the down range target.

That was in reference to hunting. 1.5” at 50 yards doesn’t really mean anything for big game. For zeroing, of course.

I put a 3-15 on my wifes rifle last year and she said she liked it much better than the previous scope because she could see the reticle much better. I think she was shooting at around 10x at 100 yards. How would the reticle on the 6x compare in size? I backordered her a 3-9 because she wont shoot over 300yds so she doesnt need 15x. I am thinking the 6x may be t he way to go based on the comments about the FOV and eyebox/relief.
Another minor consideration for ya; between the swfa moa and mil reticle, my wife and kids prefer the open center dot on the 6x moa better than the continuous line on my 3-9 mil (when both are at the same 6x). They find it easier to see.

That was in reference to hunting. 1.5” at 50 yards doesn’t really mean anything for big game. For zeroing, of course.
I figured as much, just throwing it out there as I know the whole concept of parallax adjustment can be tricky for new shooters... and I'm sure some amount of frustration and apparent inaccuracies or larger groups when sighting in or practicing with a rifle can be chalked up to improper parallax adjustment. As a plug for swfa, I would say the parallax adjustment on the fixed powers is about the easiest to train new shooters about the concept as any I've messed with.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Another minor consideration for ya; between the swfa moa and mil reticle, my wife and kids prefer the open center dot on the 6x moa better than the continuous line on my 3-9 mil (when both are at the same 6x). They find it easier to see.

The MOA reticle sucks (relatively speaking), but the center dot should be in all the Mil-Quad reticles.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve killed 4 big game animals since I switched my Tikka .260 to this scope. A buck at 225 yards, a doe at 220 yards, a doe at 50 yards, and a doe at 30 yards.

The 50 yard and 30 yard deer were free hand shots in the woods. The 200+ yard shots were seated with a long bipod using a tree as a back rest.

I never once messed with parallax on any of the shots. The only shot I had “time” to set up was the first buck. The doe with him died 5 seconds later. The two free hand shot kills happened in seconds.

For actual hunting big game you don’t need to mess with the parallax at all.

MT257

WKR
Would the 10x or 12x that are on sale for the Black Friday sale be too much for western big game hunting? Or is a 6x more ideal?

ljalberta

WKR
I used a 10x this year. Really enjoyed it for sheep hunting and places where shots were largely in the open and generally 200 yards or further.

I just received a 6x though and find it generally to be a better all around hunting scope. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with the 10x, but it’s not my first choice. If you can afford the price difference for the 6x, I think it’s certainly worth it. Otherwise, put the 10x on and go hunting. The biggest issue I found is if something steps out at 50 yards, the 10x is a little bold for me. 6x also has the added bonus of stating on target and spotting shots easier.

It’s worth noting that the 6x and all SWFA scopes are currently 20% off. They don’t include the free rings and accessories, but still a great deal.

Last edited:

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
The MOA reticle sucks (relatively speaking), but the center dot should be in all the Mil-Quad reticles.
Other than your preference for MIL reticles/system over MOA, what sets this particular MIL reticle above the MOA version on the 6X?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk