Q&A Podcast with Robby Denning

Rob5589

WKR
Where should I go to kill a huge buck? Not looking for any honey holes.....

Looking forward to hearing him on the Exo podcast, too.

With limited scouting time.
Say a couple half days, 1 or 2 full days and one overnight trip what would you concentrate your efforts on.
Glassing as much country as possible?
Glassing a few of the best looking areas?
Setting trail cameras?
Covering country looking for big tracks?
This is for a heavily hunted general season unit in Utah with a declining herd.
Would your strategy change depending on which season you are hunting?
Thanks!

Is it possible to hunt areas seeing non-hunting recreational pressure (hikers, backpackers)? What to look for when e-scouting for early season archery? What would stand out as solid habitat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
What are some tips on hunting early rut (Early November), when the bigger bucks haven’t quite moved in on the does yet, but the Younger bucks have? Example: 3rd season Colorado where bucks are migrating from higher elevations still. Especially with warmer weather like 2019 3rd season.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
In terms of harvesting large bucks, how do you know when you’ve reached the ceiling of a given area it’s time to focus on a new unit or state?

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I am a huge Robby Denning fan so I can't wait for this episode!!!
1) What is the best binocular/spotting scope setup for a mountain mule deer hunter? Are 95mm spotters too big?
2) What are your thoughts on just bringing swaro 15xs for both hand-holding and tripod glassing on solo backcountry hunts?
3) Last October my "secret" spot got absolutely pounded on opening weekend by other hunters like I have never witnessed before. Everyone packed out after the third or fourth day of season but it seemed like all the bucks either got killed or left the area. How would you have made your decision on whether to stay or go somewhere else?
4) How do you filter water on late season backcountry hunts in extreme cold and then prevent the water from freezing in camp and in your backpack?
5) During the 2018 CO 3rd season I found a really good spot that had several good bucks and a lot of rutting activity. In the 2019 CO 3rd season there was even less hunting pressure but almost no deer in that same exact area and in nine days I only saw a few does and one tiny forkin horn. Have you encountered situations like this before? What are potential causes?

Rich M

WKR
Most big buck hunters tend to scout the area prior to the season, have an idea of where the deer are and where they are not. Other guys travel across the country and have never been there before. Head up to a glassing spot and hope for the best.

What advice do you offer the guy who travels across the country to maximize his time looking for big bucks?

I'd love to hear more about locating bucks in low density deer areas with thick cover/
I second how to locate in areas with low density. Thinking eastern Wyoming areas, thick pine covered north slopes, mountain mahogany covered flats and south slopes. More traditional wintering ground type area. Big bucks like the thicker timber if food there in these mid elevation ranges during the early season? It’s easier to find them low in draws closer to the rut around the does.

What to do to improve the population? Other than obvious conservation related donations, helping the local conservation officer etc. Lion control (noted highest rate problem for the mule deer does in our area in a survey)? Coyote control, especially prior to fawning (may have adverse affect on the population)? Improving habitat and assisting with planting trees? Adding water catchments in dry areas (may promote spread of disease)?

Calling mule deer...don’t think he uses it much or wrote much on it in his book. Do mule deer bucks grunt much?? When a white tail is on a hot doe following her he will be grunting every 10 seconds or so (seen many times). Havent been close enough to them in the rut to hear em.

I’ve rattled a couple 2 year olds in. Probably depends on timing, buck density, situation, etc. but I currently lean towards rattling for mule deer. I’ve had amazing success grunting in white tails though.

Few questions there, maybe something worth taking about.