QAD Exodus broadheads- good, bad, ugly?

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I cant speak for their efficacy when it comes to knock down power, but as far as accuracy I can't seem to get them to fly consistently over 35 yards. I tried several combinations of arrows and heads and just couldnt seem to get it resolved. Switched to rage and they fly fine. They have been the only fixed heads I've shot, so maybe they're less forgiving than mechanical?

I cant speak for their efficacy when it comes to knock down power, but as far as accuracy I can't seem to get them to fly consistently over 35 yards. I tried several combinations of arrows and heads and just couldnt seem to get it resolved. Switched to rage and they fly fine. They have been the only fixed heads I've shot, so maybe they're less forgiving than mechanical?

The more surface area a head has, the more tendency there will be to reveal flaws in flight. If the flaws are consistent, they are probably due to tuning. If the flaws are inconsistent, they are probably related to shooting form (grip and release).

A field point or low profile mech will not reveal this, as the vanes of the arrow create enough stabilization to offset the flaws. A similar way to reveal form flaws is with a bare shaft. A couple years ago I started keeping a bare shaft in my practice quiver, to test my form and it did wonders to reveal my weaknesses and inconsistencies. Now my fixed blade heads are shooting great, out to 100 yards.

I could not believe what a difference the slightest, slightest variation in grip caused in bare shaft shooting. While not as pronounced, it is similar when shooting fixed blade heads.

Exodus have some of the lowest surface area of any fixed blade heads, and they have extremely tight specs...so they are capable of incredible accuracy. But the bow must be well tuned and the shooter must have excellent grip and release form.

Killa200

FNG
My family has used these after shuttle t shipped out of china not (not sharp anymore) so we switched we killed 9 bulls last year never lost one and only took one shot with ranges of poundage but these are the sharpest broadheads on the market cut your balls of sharp

Shot these for many years now and have taken everything from Utah Mule Deer, Bulgarian Red Stag to African Roan. Flawless performance - one of the most consistently flying heads I’ve ever used, penetrate better than most, and the design really cuts. Tried many others over the years but I’ll keep using Exodus until something proves better.

BTW - really like and agree with Bowhuntr64’s explanation - spot on.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 1 Full blade that has been through 4 hogs, 1 mule deer, and a cedar tree limb haha (skipped through a hog and split the branch...least that's my story). They shoot better for me than the Viper Tricks I'm testing, and are the head i recommend to people when they're searching for a new fixed.

Holocene

WKR
Terrific and well-balanced broadhead. People have hit most of the highlights already. Bowhuntr64 nailed it. My experience has been much the same, and it's my go-to head for everything.

A few things to add --

PROS
  • I shoot a 10-week broadhead league here in Oregon, and lots of anecdotal feedback and observation shows that these heads fly as good as any other head out there. PS, we do not shoot mechanicals at this league. Not allowed even though Oregon now allows mechanical heads for hunting.
  • GREAT VALUE. For serious guys who shoot heads a lot, really push their range (60+ yards) while broadhead tuning and maybe shoot a broadhead league, you are going to lose or damage heads. I hate the idea of doing that with the premium $30-40/piece broadheads. I know, I know...compared to the "cost of gas" and all that broadheads are a small expense...still, it hurts!
  • I have killed 2 elk, both pass throughs. One animal went 30 yards and the other 3. I shoot 60#, 31" draw, 460 grain arrow.
CONS
  • I'd really like to see a sharpened edge on the BACKSIDE of the blade. This would cause more cutting as an arrow backs out or shifts around inside an animal. Some heads are like this.
  • The 125 grain heads consistently weigh in at ~129 grains. I generally match weight components and have debated shaving off some ferrule to truly match weight to field points. But haven't turned that persnickity yet.

Holocene

WKR

Indeed, mechanicals fly more like field points, so they are inherently "more forgiving" than broadheads.

Broadheads will magnify any tuning imperfections in your bow or form, because they have more surface area and weight away from the arrow so steer your arrow toward any imperfection in its flight path. This imperfection comes from either your form or the bow's tune.

What an archer needs to ask is, "What tolerance is acceptable?"

How "off" are the QAD heads at 20 yards? 30? 40? Have you walk back tuned?

Depending on your bow, you should be able to get the QAD flying within 0.5-1" of your field point with a properly tuned bow. Anything less, I would microtune. Many articles and youtube videos on how to do this. It will take some work and time, but well worth the confidence that a well-tuned bow brings.

Some people will say "just move your sight and hunt." These people haven't felt the bliss of a perfectly tuned bow and sailing broadheads accurately to 60+ yards.

I have shot a few pigs with the non swept 100 grain exodus and have had zero problems. Great blood trails as of yet.

WJS23

WKR
I shot the non swept one for years I killed a few deer with them and they flew great the only reason I switched to as because I completely changed my arrow set up.

Trial153

WKR
They are a soild head. I like the oz cut ultra 4 a bit better but QAD ferrule is stronger

Hit a bull moose with a hard quartering away shot at 31 yards that buried the Exodus in the opposite shoulder. Not even the meat processor could get it out. It was buried deep.

TheCougar

WKR
Great heads. Killed my last 3 elk with them. But damn, those swept bladeswill absolutely destroy your targets. Way worse than any other head I have ever used on my matrix.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I consider them to have the best overall balance of slight, cutting diameter, edge retention, ferrule strength and penetration of any replaceable blade head on the market. I've taken over 40 animals with them so far, including big African plains game and bull elk, and they've always performed flawlessly. I've shot them out to 90 yards and found them to group with Slick Tricks.
How would you choose between the exodus and Magnus black hornet ser razor? I’m trying to choose between these two for moose, elk, and bear hunts going forward

Great heads. Killed my last 3 elk with them. But damn, those swept bladeswill absolutely destroy your targets. Way worse than any other head I have ever used on my matrix.

That’s interesting. They pull out really easily with my Rhinehart and Sevr HD targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would you choose between the exodus and Magnus black hornet ser razor? I’m trying to choose between these two for moose, elk, and bear hunts going forward

They’re both great heads. I’m sure both will get there job done and they’re both great choices. But for me, the nod goes to the Exodus. It’s just more durable with that chisel/cutting tip, and for big boned animals like moose and elk, that makes a difference to me. The Black Hornet penetrates slightly deeper but that blade can curl on a very hard impact. But again, both great heads.

TheCougar

WKR
That’s interesting. They pull out really easily with my Rhinehart and Sevr HD targets.

I use a matrix target and pulling out the swept exodus removes huge chunks of foam every time. My yard is littered with pieces of my matrix foam. The full blade doesn’t do this, only the swept. The swept angle grabs and tears at the inside of the target when pulling the arrow out. Not sure how any target can survive that.

I use a matrix target and pulling out the swept exodus removes huge chunks of foam every time. My yard is littered with pieces of my matrix foam. The full blade doesn’t do this, only the swept. The swept angle grabs and tears at the inside of the target when pulling the arrow out. Not sure how any target can survive that.

The Matrix must close in behind the Swept blades or your arrow rotates for some reason. I’ve shot hundreds into my Rhinehart over the years and many into the Sevr HD and they come out just like the Full model does.