QD sockets on side of stock

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Is that the Varmint adjustable cheekpiece? If so, how do you like it?
If you are asking about the Kimber in the OP, no. It is a fixed cheekpiece I built onto the stock.

Wrench

WKR
I have pulled 2 flush cups installed by mcmillan in the field. My trust for them is low.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have pulled 2 flush cups installed by mcmillan in the field. My trust for them is low.
I use threaded flush cups, the stock is threaded, then two part epoxy (JB weld, Etc) is back filled so there is a blob supporting the socket in the hollow portion of the stock and it fills in any imperfections in the threading). The stock would have to break for them to pull out.

Note to self, don't waste money on having McMillan install flush cups if I every by a stock from them.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Marbles, please provide more details on your DIY sling. I’d love to roll my own and save money.
For high quality materials, I recommend Whisky Two Four, the one inch webbing I got from them grippy in a way that most webbing is not. I recommend buying thread from them too, it only comes in large spools, but it is significantly stronger than anything I have found at local sewing stores, and unlike braided fishing line, it is not slick and actual has some grip to it, making it hold whatever is being sewn better. I got the thiner A&E Milspec size 46 Tex 45 so it will work in home sewing machines.

The end that runs off the screen is a fixed length (I use a triglid and loop, I have sized my loop to work as a shooting aid, but it also allows for length adjustment).

The folded over tab prevents the webbing from slipping through ladder lock. It also feels physically different than the braid. Pull the folded webbing and the sling becomes shorter/tighter to the body. Pull the braid and it becomes longer/looser.
sling.jpg

Wrench

WKR
I use threaded flush cups, the stock is threaded, then two part epoxy (JB weld, Etc) is back filled so there is a blob supporting the socket in the hollow portion of the stock and it fills in any imperfections in the threading). The stock would have to break for them to pull out.

Note to self, don't waste money on having McMillan install flush cups if I every by a stock from them.
That's essentially how they do it. Thread them in and epoxy in place.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That's essentially how they do it. Thread them in and epoxy in place.
How does it pull out? Does it rip part of the stock out? I'm pretty sure in a pull test the QD sockets I have installed would hold better than most traditional sling studs I have removed from stocks.

Well crap...

I just ordered a McMillan with 2 flush cups on the left side. Your post is not a confidence builder. Can you share any more details? How long ago did it happen? What caused them to pull? Did you contact McMillan or fix them yourself?

Thanks

Wrench

WKR
I ripped the last one out this last season on an edge stock. I was done with them at that point and installed swivels in devcon.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I ripped the last one out this last season on an edge stock. I was done with them at that point and installed swivels in devcon.
I'm not understanding the logic. A 9/16-18 thread (QD cup) set in epoxy will be stronger than a 10-32 thread (sling swivel at 3/16th diameter) set in epoxy due to having more surface area, this would be true even if using a wood screw sling stud.

If you are ripping out the QD cup, but not the sling stud, then McMillian screwed the pooch pretty hard on their install.

20240216_212729.jpg

Wrench

WKR
I'm not understanding the logic. A 9/16-18 thread (QD cup) set in epoxy will be stronger than a 10-32 thread (sling swivel at 3/16th diameter) set in epoxy due to having more surface area, this would be true even if using a wood screw sling stud.

If you are ripping out the QD cup, but not the sling stud, then McMillian screwed the pooch pretty hard on their install.

View attachment 674632
A tee nut has WAAAY more surface area than the threads on the 5/16 or screw. I back bored the stock for a tee nut and devcon filled the old hole.

You'll pull the threads on the tee nut long before the stock yields to it.