Quail Tips without a dog

kf1983

Lil-Rokslider
Going to try for quail this weekend. The is a long dirt road a long a river that has lots of covies. I don’t have a dog. Any tips for when i see them 50-70 yards away?

also thinking since time is of the essence when you see them, what about riding a bike with shotgun loaded and ready on my back? I could approach faster to where they flush and maybe could get closer since it’s not a big white pickup truck coming there way…

sbsyncro

FNG
Figure out their patterns - where they are roosting, where they feed, where they get water, and where they catch the afternoon sun. That will help a lot.

I haven’t had hunting dogs since I had kids 24 years ago and it’s a very different game. You may lose birds; don’t take shots when the birds are flying over thickets or poison oak. It’s a lot more work without dogs but it’s do-able!

Also if you spook a covey they usually won’t go far. Just keep working the covey and then give them time to regroup. I hunt solo in an area that sounds like yours - a long narrow canyon with a creek bed running the length. It’s very rewarding to hike up the sides of the canyon after busting up the covey and taking a few birds and just sit and listen to their calls, see them regroup, and then watch them resume feeding, sunning, or preening through binos while I have a snack and take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
I’ve hunted without dogs it can a lot more challenging. I never used a bike and don’t see it being very useful and would suggest having one chambered. Eat suggestion don’t shoot a second bird until you hunted up the first downed bird.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Agree with Catchfish - one in hand is better than two [lost] in the bush. Unless you are in a cut field and can easily search them up, shoot one, mark it, watch the covey land, retrieve the downed bird, chase the covey for number two. They will move a bit after landing....

A unique technique I've worked and have had success with - if they don't flush too wild after the shot, gather your bird and head in the general direction the birds scattered to. Find a hide and let the area settle for a few minutes - listen for them to start calling to regather the covey. Mimic that call and they will come back!

This seems to be most successful in heavy cover areas; you can't tromp around too much looking for your bird so it might not apply to your area. I've experienced flushes along two-track forest roads where a couple of us shot five birds - all singles except for one pair - that were independently returning back to the core zone of the originally flush. Flush. Shoot. Gather. Call. Shoot. Gather. Call. Shoot. Gather. Call. Shoot/shoot.

Otherwise, run and gun them like scaled quail in the SW; bust them up on the road while driving, then follow them up in the brush.

Good luck!

Laramie

WKR
Sounds silly but if you are struggling to flush them, make the sound of a flushing bird with you lips. That seems to get them up for me when I don't have a dog. I'll repeat what others have said- Shoot one bird at a time and find it before shooting at another. Quail have such good camo they are very easy to lose if you get distracted from the exact spot they land.

WKR
I'd probably opt out of riding a bike with a loaded shotgun on my back. Regardless, best of luck. They are tasty little things.

TheGDog

WKR
Keep an eye out. When they move across an open space, a lead quail will often post-up high and keep watch, ready to alert the covey of approaching danger.

When they break and fly, hurry up and pick one and focus on that one. Keep your eyes on him as he falls. Don't give up when it comes to looking for him, really really put in that time because lotta times they're not all the way dead and they'd hurry up and scurry into a thick bush. So not only the location around where you watched them go down, but if no luck, then also consider expanding the radius of the search a lil bit, and LISTEN as well! Sometimes if they don't go die right away, ya might hear them flap a wing or re-position within where they are hiding due to the pain.

Dove will do this too. But they can't walk as fast so usually you'll see them if they are trying to sneak away. The Dove remain dang quite while they attempt to flee.