Quality arrows without paying for an expensive “component” system

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m wanting to switch things up from the Black Eagles I’ve been shooting last several years. They’ve worked but I’ve been using Renegades and Rampages with the half outs, and they suck. I have heard you can use 5mm Brass HIT inserts with them, but I dry fitted some into a 300 spine renegade and there seemed to be some “slop” to it. Not sure if you just compensate for that with expoxy or glue?
So I am looking for a good quality arrow setup with either HIT or conventional inserts, albeit maybe steel or brass. I don’t want to spend 150 on shafts to turn around and have to spend another 100 on components!!
What are some of the best shaft/ component setups out there that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
Go buy a set of 12 arrows from your local sporting goods store. Ready to go right out of the box minus heads. If nice (expensive) components isn't your thing this is your best option imo. You can pick the brand/size/spine that best fits you.

I was shooting the deep impacts and had the same issues, bent outserts. Changed to the zombie slayers with their 100gr brass insert and they work great. The regular inserts would be fine if you used a heavier head but I didn’t want to buy new broadheads. I can’t say that I have noticed a big difference in penetration or anything going from micro diameter to standard. With a fixed head I’m still getting complete pass throughs.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 for about $78/dozen. I bought their 50 grain insert cause I had a target weight I wanted to get to. I find them to be accurate and durable. I tip mine with Thunderhead 100 broadheads.

I use Gorilla super glue for my inserts and fletchings(even AAE Max Stealth vanes).

Standard diameter (.244-.246") shafts are generally cheaper and work fine with "old-fashioned" flanged aluminum inserts...no need for collars or specially designed hidden inserts or expensive, failure-prone half-outs/outserts. If you like to tinker with front end weight, use heat reversible glue (hot melt) or use inserts with rear-facing threads that can accept weight screws. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm Acu-Carbon, Gold Tip Hunter, Victory VForce are all standard diameter options around $6 per unfletched shaft at ±.005-.006" straightness tolerance.

Reactions: Zac
I’m wanting to switch things up from the Black Eagles I’ve been shooting last several years. They’ve worked but I’ve been using Renegades and Rampages with the half outs, and they suck. I have heard you can use 5mm Brass HIT inserts with them, but I dry fitted some into a 300 spine renegade and there seemed to be some “slop” to it. Not sure if you just compensate for that with expoxy or glue?
So I am looking for a good quality arrow setup with either HIT or conventional inserts, albeit maybe steel or brass. I don’t want to spend 150 on shafts to turn around and have to spend another 100 on components!!
What are some of the best shaft/ component setups out there that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

I like the day six arrows and inserts outserts. But if I was buying arrows right now I would go back to standard insert. Probably BE Spartans or maybe even just outlaws

Reactions: Zac

Northpark

WKR
I’ve had good luck ordering custom arrows from blackOvis.com using their online ordering tool. Just been shooting Easton axis 300 spines. It’s easy to order and they show up at my house ready to shoot.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I have standard Easton hit inserts paired ethics archery footer/sleeve. Cheaper option than IW components

Take a look at what I did with my rampages. I didn't have too many issues with the halfouts, but I never caught them before shooting them and watching them go apeshit through the air. So I put in standard easton HITs with hot melt and an ethics footer, then added a GT unibushing and an easton G nock. For the bushings and HITs, I heated up the hot melt, rolled the HIT/unibushing on it, insert into shaft and spin. This makes a uniform spread of adhesive. You can use VPA, Iron Will or DIY some xx75's for the collars. You don't need to do the unibushings but I shoot so much, I wanted the extra strength. Plus they look sick.

I've shot them into tree's, hit rocks, hit 3D target stakes, these arrows don't break. So you factor in the cost of a dozen rampages + $38 collars + $16 HITs. Figure an extra $4/arrow. Isn't the cheapest method but I've yet to break one of these things shooting.

Trial153

WKR
Spartans. Easton Hexx with Brass H inserts. ACC and FMJ also with H inserts .

Easton axis with brass hits. GT Hunter xts with 100 grain brass inserts. If you want a little bit lighter you can either go velocity xts with 100 grain brass or use their fact weight system. Just lock tite or super glue the weights on the insert before install so they don't get loose.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I’m probably going to start with the Spartans and go from there. Aside from the half outs, I have had good luck with Black Eagles

satchamo

WKR
Take a look at what I did with my rampages. I didn't have too many issues with the halfouts, but I never caught them before shooting them and watching them go apeshit through the air. So I put in standard easton HITs with hot melt and an ethics footer, then added a GT unibushing and an easton G nock. For the bushings and HITs, I heated up the hot melt, rolled the HIT/unibushing on it, insert into shaft and spin. This makes a uniform spread of adhesive. You can use VPA, Iron Will or DIY some xx75's for the collars. You don't need to do the unibushings but I shoot so much, I wanted the extra strength. Plus they look sick.

I've shot them into tree's, hit rocks, hit 3D target stakes, these arrows don't break. So you factor in the cost of a dozen rampages + $38 collars + $16 HITs. Figure an extra $4/arrow. Isn't the cheapest method but I've yet to break one of these things shooting.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but black eagles website explicitly states not to use hot melt on their arrows…. Don’t know why - just repeating what I read.

I’d just use a 2 part epoxy’s it would accomplish the same thing.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but black eagles website explicitly states not to use hot melt on their arrows…. Don’t know why - just repeating what I read.

Every arrow manufacturer warns against using hot melt with carbon shafts, but it's perfectly safe if you do it carefully and don't apply heat directly to the carbon. It's just a CYA statement like bow manufacturers warning against aftermarket strings, truck makers warning against lift kits & oversized tires, etc.

The main advantage of hot melt is easy removal if you want to change your inserts.

Gold tip specifically says no hot melt as well, but talk to Tim Gillingham and he specifically will tell you to use it.