Quality "Available" reloading bullets for my ole Savage M110 in .270 Win?

Aside from the .300 WSM that I have made multiple posts on this forum, I also have a late 90s Savage Model 110 in .270 Win. I have had her for 23-24 years since my Dad bought her for me when I was a teenager. Since I am having muzzle brake issues with my .300 WSM that has hurt my ears on those close quarter shots, where I didn't have time to put in ear protection I am going to use my ole faithful in the fall in both West Virginia and possibly PA (in those NW counties that have tons of public and possibility of seeing a black bear). Plus I want to get her ready for Wyoming pronghorn and possibly mule deer next year.
As many of you who reload have found out, the bullet availability is rather low at least selection wise. My current loading is a Nosler BT 130 grain in front of 53 grains of IMR 4350 going 2950 fps. I only have 20 loaded rounds of that and 15 of the Precision Hunter 145 ELDX (which I haven't tried yet, just gave 5 to my cousin to try in his Tikka Superlite). The only other reloading bullets that I have are Nosler 150 grain Partitions. Which more available bullets out there would give me similar performance? Both my brother and cousin like the 140 grain Hornady SSTs, I could only find the 130 and 150 SSTS and Interlocks at Cabela's. No Sierras, no Nosler, no Barnes, etc.... I have thought about going copper, but I can't find the Nosler ETip, Hornady GMX or CX, The Barnes TTSX or LRX. I did see that the 124 grain Hammers were available for $61 for a box of 50. I have never loaded copper before and have heard mixed reviews on the Hammers, mostly positive though. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Forrest

MattB

WKR
I have recently bought a couple of boxes of Hammer 120 gr. .284 HH's, in stock both times and got them within a few days. Got some CX 139 gr. at Midway a few days ago, the GMX shot lights out in my rifle.

Edit: probably should have mentioned that the HH's shot so well (~0.65" 5-shot groups) that I didn't feel the need to chase down GMX/CX bullets.

Last edited:
OP
ForrestGuy82
I have recently bought a couple of boxes of Hammer 120 gr. .284 HH's, in stock both times and got them within a few days. Got some CX 139 gr. at Midway a few days ago, the GMX shot lights out in my rifle.

Edit: probably should have mentioned that the HH's shot so well (~0.65" 5-shot groups) that I didn't feel the need to

chase down GMX/CX bullets.
Thank you and good to know. I may try them myself, but in the .277 variety. The 117s and 124 Hammer Hunters look legit.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Those 150 SST’s are some killing bullets. If there is plenty available I’d get a couple boxes.
I have thought about going and trying 150s for a little more punch on a wider variety of animals. Hopefully they will be accurate. Traditionally the .270 Win likes the 130-140 grain weight range.

Speer has some good bullets available in that caliber. I have used their products for many years and never had an issue. I am loading up some 150 grand slams for my .270 currently.

SouthPaw

WKR
The 140 berger classic hunter has been available almost consistently and it has been fantastic in my 270win. At 3000fps it carries terminal velocity way farther than I'd shoot at game and it has decent BC for a 270win at distance. Dumped a mule deer last season, devastating terminal performance.

I worked up loads for both the 117 and 124 hammers with the 117 being more accurate and easier to tune (3300fps). The berger is just so much better in wind out beyond 400yds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk