Quality boot durability, life span, and customer service.

TheCougar

WKR
I recently went through a second pair of Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hikers. The first pair got returned after one season when the leather toe was worn though after a week of hunting mule deer. The second pair I put Tuff Toe on and it lasted a couple of seasons, but the stiching is blowing out and my feet get wet when exposed to continuous moisture. Those boots were around $200.

I’m considering upping my game and getting some high quality boots, particularly looking at Crispi, Schnee’s, or Hanwag. Other possible contenders are Scarpa, Zamberlan, and Lowa. Most of these boots are in the $300 - $350 range. I’m debating if “investing” in a disposable item is worth it. These top tier boots need to last at least 3-4 years and not need a repair or resole before it becomes worth it, otherwise I can just buy a new pair of REI boots every 18 months and save money. For reference, i average 40 days in the field every year over all sorts of terrain. Are any of these boots exceptionally durable? Will they stay waterproof for years? Is there a major step up in comfort or support? Is there a company that is a customer service or warranty standout? I’ve never had a pair of boots last more than 2 years, but I’ve also never paid more than $200 for a pair, so maybe the next level up will last much longer?

tttoadman

WKR
I have 2 pair of Lowas and one pair of La Sportiva Nepal mountaineering boots. My tibets are 5 years old. They are not really waterproof anymore, but they tough aas hell.. I spray waterseal then along with my Lowa Hunters. For me they are well worth the money because of the support they provide. Between the 3 pairs, I will likely not need to buy anymore for a very long time. The important thing to me is to have a place where you can try them on and take a lot of time.

Kenetrek makes a very durable boot and have great customer service. Like any leather boot they do need periodic waxing. My hunting buddie talk me into buying them after his original pair lasted him for 3 years, he used them 6 days a week for about six months out of each year.

Highly recommended.

264win

WKR
In addition to the boots mentioned above, check out Asolo. After wearing out lots of top quality boots I have found Asolo 520s to be the best for me.
There are plenty of goods boots available, see what fits your feet and needs

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
If weight isn't an issue but durability is, hard to beat Whites. They have been used by outdoorsmen (loggers, firefighters, ranchers, hunters, etc.) forever and I believe that they can be resoled and reconditioned to last a lifetime. I picked up a pair in 1984 when my boots gave out on a fire in Idaho and I still have them and they are still in great shape. They are heavy and expensive (were $250 in 1984) but if you get them sized correctly your feet will love you at the end of day!

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetreks are great, except the k talon sole. I find it doesn’t last long, I’ve got 2 years on my hard scrabbles and will need to be resold soon. Also the k talon sole is very slippery on ice and rocks, compared to my mountain guide boots with the vibram sole. I’m going to see if I can get a vibram sole put on my hard scrabbles and mountain extremes when the time comes. Everything else I love about them though. You have to clean the mud off and keep up on the wax if you want them to last.

kipper09

WKR
Kenetreks are great, except the k talon sole. I find it doesn’t last long, I’ve got 2 years on my hard scrabbles and will need to be resold soon. Also the k talon sole is very slippery on ice and rocks, compared to my mountain guide boots with the vibram sole. I’m going to see if I can get a vibram sole put on my hard scrabbles and mountain extremes when the time comes. Everything else I love about them though. You have to clean the mud off and keep up on the wax if you want them to last.

I had the same experience. I ended up with Hoffman’s the next round. Because of the sole. In my experience they fit almost exactly the same and wear the same but the Hoffman has a vibram sole. Actually Hoffman’s and kenetrek are made in the same town in Italy. Right across the street from one another. But the sole was my deciding factor. I know I harp on the Hoffman a lot but I think it’s a top end boot that deserves the publicity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk