Quality insulated foam pad?

Is there an insulated foam pad worth using for backpacking? I'm in the market for a pad and every inflatable I've had has leaked or down right popped at the worst time possible.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Closed cell is probably the way to go for backpacking. Unfortunately the tougher and more durable foam is the more uncomfortable it is to sleep on. An open cell memory foam mattress topper is super comfy, but heavy, and will soak up water for instance. A thermarest ridge rest or z is tough but I'm not tough enough to sleep on one night after night and get up feeling like hunting the next morning.

Another issue is R-value. You'll probably have to stack foam pads to get enough r value for nights below freezing.

I've been down the same thought process. I took a neoair x-therm this year for elk....and made sure I had the patch kit, PLUS I patted down the ground under it and removed sticks and stobs, AND I used a housewrap groundsheet. No problems.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Closed cell is probably the way to go for backpacking. Unfortunately the tougher and more durable foam is the more uncomfortable it is to sleep on. An open cell memory foam mattress topper is super comfy, but heavy, and will soak up water for instance. A thermarest ridge rest or z is tough but I'm not tough enough to sleep on one night after night and get up feeling like hunting the next morning.

Another issue is R-value. You'll probably have to stack foam pads to get enough r value for nights below freezing.

I've been down the same thought process. I took a neoair x-therm this year for elk....and made sure I had the patch kit, PLUS I patted down the ground under it and removed sticks and stobs, AND I used a housewrap groundsheet. No problems.

2nd the above sentiments particularly those around site prep as I use a floorless Silex.
Am a big proponent of the Big Agnes sleeve system found on my Lost Dog.bag. Togetherness minimizes movements that can cause abrasions/punctures. Plus it’s as close to a bed that I’ve personally found. An 1/8” Exped closed-cell foam pad goes under my Q Core SLX. This provides further protection in addition to insulation. All of this goes inside a custom-sized Borah Bug Bivy; another layer of protection. FWIW, the above weight-penalty is worth it as I sleep well in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk