Quality of older vs modern brass

Bearizona

FNG
I have a question about the general perception of older brass vs modern brass in terms of quality and longevity. I have about 160 pieces of old Remington and Winchester Western 7mm rem mag brass. I am curious as to what the quality of this old brass is like compared to new Winchester and Remington. I understand newer RP and WW brass is often considered softer and not as well made as quality brands like ADG and lapua but is that also true for old Winchester and Remington brass or was it made better back then like other things? I’m more just curious of what other have experienced in terms of longevity and times reloaded. I’ve attached a picture of the boxes to demonstrate their age since I don’t actually know the year or anything, maybe 80s. Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• A9507F4D-8E62-4F74-B564-63AF9FAAA3ED.jpeg
    A9507F4D-8E62-4F74-B564-63AF9FAAA3ED.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 11

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have some old federal ammo in 30-06 and that brass was definitely heavier than newer federal brass which would tend to say it would hold up a bit better if the weight was in the right places. That said I wouldn't try to convince myself that older federal brass was anywhere close to modern lapua brass or such. If you are trying to work up a nice consistent load get yourself some good new brass so you have a consistent batch of brass to work with versus a mixed bag from various 20rd boxes of once fired brass. If you're just looking to work up a plinking load use the old brass, just realize the case capacity between the various boxes/brands is gonna likely vary and thus affect pressure/velocities a bit.

OP
Bearizona

Bearizona

FNG
I have some old federal ammo in 30-06 and that brass was definitely heavier than newer federal brass which would tend to say it would hold up a bit better if the weight was in the right places. That said I wouldn't try to convince myself that older federal brass was anywhere close to modern lapua brass or such. If you are trying to work up a nice consistent load get yourself some good new brass so you have a consistent batch of brass to work with versus a mixed bag from various 20rd boxes of once fired brass. If you're just looking to work up a plinking load use the old brass, just realize the case capacity between the various boxes/brands is gonna likely vary and thus affect pressure/velocities a bit.
I appreciate the input. You guessed it there at the end, id like to use them for a plinking round and save my Norma brass some life. Figured Id try to find a moderate load with some materials I have that aren't for my hunting round and just use for practice. Ultimately its inconsequential but I had asked on the CWT forum as well and it lead to some interesting takes so I thought it get some input here too.