Quarter Bore!

I used one for that when I lived in Kodiak. Today few manufacturers make anything in 257 Roberts and the non-reloader may be pressed to find ammo. For those reasons it doesn't sound like what he needs.

25-06 OP.
Well, in this weird Covid World and Politics what you think is common and available is not! When I go into gun stores I only find odd ball ammo- quick search on Midway revealed no 25-06 ammo available! But they did have .257 Robert’s ammo !!

Since he doesn’t reload probably should buy what he can get ammo for 🤣🤣 all the more reason to reload in this day and age.

A4045E92-1693-4C2B-9810-36267BD9D434.jpeg

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
I actually still find .257 Roberts at alot of places. I don't buy it just cause I put that in the safe to pass down, but I was seeing it quite regular, in different parts of lower 48 before the herpies/corona outbreak and ammo shitshow.

Probably easy to see with nothing else on the shelves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck197

WKR
Probably easy to see with nothing else on the shelves

naw haven't seen it since all the crap, previous to that. I just always look cause that's my favorite rifle, due to sentiment. Haven't seen it, or most anything in a while. Found a place with .308 and .270 I've bought from the past two weeks, just sellier and bellot, my rifles like those like women at wal mart like spandex...

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Very hard to outperform weatherby premium ammunition in 257. I hand load everything I own but the 257 even though I have all the components. I’ve chronographed it in a few different conditions and always very close to spot on with box info. The one I own is easy 1/2 moa with 110 nosler. Working on some absolute hammers with the 25-06 that are impressive but the 257 for me is the easy button

Wrench

WKR
A 100gr pill at 3600 plus is super duper uper pooper hard on meat.

I pushed a 100tsx through and through on a Roosevelt with my 257 at 400 and it never took a step.

You won't trail far, but you also won't eat up to the hole.

FLS

WKR
Long time 25-06 fan. It hits way above its weight class. 115 Noslers and 117 Sierras have flattened every deer , pig, and antelope I’ve shot them at. Load it up with 120 Partitions or A frames and it will handle much bigger game.

OP
T

_Tyler_

FNG
Keep it rolling guys! Thanks! I also have 25-06 ammo in stock at my local gun shop.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
At the distances you describe, either caliber would yield excellent performance and barrel length is not a factor; you could cut one to eighteen inches if you like. I would lean toward the .25-06, if for no other reason than cost of factory ammunition.

TN2shot07

WKR
As others have said for your purposes both calibers would be great. I’m a long time fan of the 25-06 and would lean that direction just for the difference in ammo cost. I’ve actually seen more 257 ammo than 25-06 in the last couple months but that’s not the norm.
For the record I have rifles in 25-06 and have full intentions of picking up a 257 wby down the road, so maybe both is the correct answer 🤔

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inside 300 yards on deer, with most shots about 100 yards?

I like quarter bore a lot, so good choice and both carry far more velocity than you need for a quick kill. They are so close as to be without any meaningful difference on the end result. I would go with 25-06 for less recoil and shorter barrel for manueverability.

I think bullet selection and shot placement will have more effect than velocity. So put good consideration on ammo availability.

If you use mono bullets and some high weight retention bullets you will likely have high energy pass throughs, so that is a consideration.

I've tipped some nice size mulies at over 300 yards with my 25-06 using the Hornady 117 SST factory loads. A solid number of antelope, too.

I use the 25-06 a lot. I would pick the ammo your rifle likes and use it for deer. No use for fancy designer bullets on deer at 300 yards or less.

I vote 25-06. I was in your shoes and went with a custom 25-06 for white tails in Georgia. Same kinda hunting, not long range stuff. I weighed out the prices in factory ammo first and obviously you can find cheaper 25-06 than you can the 257 Bee. And I also reload but components for 25-06 are still cheaper in the end, mainly due to less powder. My 25-06 pushes 100gr pills at 3400fps and does great on deer. I really wanted a weatherby cartridge just to say I had one, but I don’t regret my decision one bit.