Quartering-To Shots: Where's the best shot placement?

WCB

WKR
Best blood trails I have ever had were with shots at the same angle or maybe even a bit more severe through square A3. If you are taking this shot it is normally at a very short distance and IMO...pay no mind to the neck as I have put the arrow through the neck, chest and out behind the offside should with the arrow sticking in the ground yards behind the deer. At 20 yards and in unless the animal is on full alert no question I would take the shot.

I personally would never aim for the C squares in this situation...MAYBE the line between B and C. A3 and upper half of A4 in my experience has been money.

cnelk

WKR
I would have to say in that photo, the chest position is more of frontal shot than quartering to.

A quartering to position shows more shoulder

But as per that pic, its A3 for me

street

WKR
I killed my buck last year in the A4 slot. It dropped like a sack of potatoes. Was only about 70 years shot. But that deer didn't step once. Pretty amazing how lethal it is.

DanimalW

WKR
With a rifle I’m sure that’s a lethal shot, but I’d never take a quartering toward shot with the bow. With that patience gained from archery, I probably wouldn’t take that shot with the rifle either unless I knew for certain a better shot opportunity wouldn’t present itself. Nine times out of ten, they’re eventually going to turn broadside before long. I mean, you have a rifle aimed at them. You can afford to wait another minute or two.

I haven’t been hunting long compared to some but I have taken 3 quartering to shots. The one rifle shot was a pretty limited track. I lung and liver. 60 yards. The two bow shots were probably in between that B3 & C3 box. shitty blood trails. one lung and slashed livers and guts. They didn’t go far, 150-200 yards maybe, but it wasn’t the result I look for. I wouldn’t take that shot again but if I did I would aim more center.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
The bullet entry on this one was thru the shoulder! Angles can be tough in the deer woods. That looks like a bad shot - it was a 100 yd track. Deer dropped, kicked them hind legs 2x and was on the move. Bled good - plenty of trail.

IMG_20210109_165617_01.jpg

If you ask me, I'll say to aim for the exit. On a frontal shot, I'm not gonna shoot it where the bullet will destroy a ham. That's the primary time I'll think a shot thru as opposed to just shooting it.

On the OP's deer I would aim 1/2 a box down from 3A, or high in the 4A box. 3B is gonna exit the paunch and cause a longer tracking job.