Quest for NWT Dall Sheep

Guys - Well my quest for my Dall sheep is almost here. I will be flying out next Friday morning to begin my once in a lifetime adventure to hopefully kill my first ram in the North West Territories. This has been my dream hunt of mine for years now and it almost does not feel real yet. I have been preparing for months starting with my cardio/strength training. I have dropped from 230 pounds to 200 pounds and really improved my cardio state. I have done strength training 4 days a week and cardio 3 to 4 days per week as well as been on a keto type diet. I have spend more money than I would want my wife to know about from new sitka clothes, new sleeping bag, new exo pack, new swarvoski spotting scope, to a new 6.5 creedmore rifle. I have been reviewing all the info I could on here over the last year relating to sheep hunting especially all of the gear list to make sure I had everything covered as well as to make sure I don't take to much. I am working on my last food items now and when I get them I plan on packing my pack this weekend where I can weight it. I am hoping to come in around 35 to 40 pounds minus my gun (gun weighs 8 pounds). Hopefully I am prepared for everything that this hunt throws at me. I will take pictures of my adventure where I can hopefully come back and share my hunt with you guys. I appreciate all the info I have received on here as well as the questions you guys have answered of mine leading up to the hunt. Its almost go time and I can't wait !!! Let's do this !!

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck, I hope you kill an old warrior. I went to the NWT in 2007 and still daydream about my experience all the time. Which outfit are you hunting with?

Good luck, man. My 1st sheep hunt starts 1 year from yesterday. I’m going through everything you’ve been through and loving it all. Can’t wait to hear all about your trip, every little detail and see pics of everything, including the big bruiser you kill.

Best of luck to you and safe travels. With all the training and prep...slow it down...enjoy it and breathe it all in. Take pictures even when you don't think it's a particularly notable frame/angle/aspect of the trip...you will surprise yourself when you get home. When you locate your first "shooter" have your mental checklist memorized...Heavy bases? Deep curl dips below jawline? Tips come back up above bridge of noes-if no heavily broomed?How many annular rings? Is there a ram or other rams near to compare size, as a single ram alone is harder to judge from a distance? Slow you're breathing...steady and solid rest? If you have a vid cam, have the guide video the prep/setup/shot/walking up and getting your facial expressions...take close-ups of the annular rings/any chunks or cracks...take twice as many "trophy" and "surrounding area" photos as you think you need. Try to get as close as possble-I've killed two slams, 9 total rams, farthest shot was 425 yards and my first ram in 2009.
With whom will you be hunting?
DWD

Best of luck to you and safe travels. With all the training and prep...slow it down...enjoy it and breathe it all in. Take pictures even when you don't think it's a particularly notable frame/angle/aspect of the trip...you will surprise yourself when you get home. When you locate your first "shooter" have your mental checklist memorized...Heavy bases? Deep curl dips below jawline? Tips come back up above bridge of noes-if no heavily broomed?How many annular rings? Is there a ram or other rams near to compare size, as a single ram alone is harder to judge from a distance? Slow you're breathing...steady and solid rest? If you have a vid cam, have the guide video the prep/setup/shot/walking up and getting your facial expressions...take close-ups of the annular rings/any chunks or cracks...take twice as many "trophy" and "surrounding area" photos as you think you need. Try to get as close as possble-I've killed two slams, 9 total rams, farthest shot was 425 yards and my first ram in 2009.
DWD
I’m copying this and re-reading it often for the next 364 days. Thank you!!!

Best of Luck hunting. I am pumped up for you and to follow your story here in the coming weeks. This is way too cool stuff and you will never have another first time!!

Good luck!!! The NWT is an amazing place. Like Diddywahdiddy previously said, take as many pictures as you physically can. I've been fortunate enough to hunt north two times, and both times when I got home I wish I had taken more pictures. And, as previously mentioned, try to soak it all in. It will be over before you know it and you'll be trying to figure out how to go again.

OP
StraightShooter
Good luck, I hope you kill an old warrior. I went to the NWT in 2007 and still daydream about my experience all the time. Which outfit are you hunting with?

ol490 - I am going with Jim Lancaster with Nahanni Butte Outfitters. I have been day dreaming for years about this hunt after reading post from guys on here about there hunts in the NWT. This next week can't go by fast enough for me to begin this adventure.

OP
StraightShooter
DWD

Diddywahdiddy - I am going with Jim Lancaster with Nahanni Butte Outfitters. I will try to make sure to take your advice and slow down and take it all in because I know how fast things can go by when you are having fun. I will also make sure to take as many pictures as possible. I have been practicing shooting out to 600 yards and feel really comfortable making a 500 yard shoot as long as I have a good solid rest. I appreciate the advice and hope I will be able to have a great story to report back to you guys when I get back home. Stay tuned

OP
StraightShooter
Best of Luck hunting. I am pumped up for you and to follow your story here in the coming weeks. This is way too cool stuff and you will never have another first time!!
MallardMaster- I am so pumper up right now I think I can run thru a wall. It is hard to express just how excited I am. Let's hope my first is a winner !!!

OP
StraightShooter
Good luck!!! The NWT is an amazing place. Like Diddywahdiddy previously said, take as many pictures as you physically can. I've been fortunate enough to hunt north two times, and both times when I got home I wish I had taken more pictures. And, as previously mentioned, try to soak it all in. It will be over before you know it and you'll be trying to figure out how to go again.

downsouth175 - My dad past away at the young age of 67 about one year ago and he told me to always remember that one day at the end of our life's journey what will mean the most will be the memories' we have made with friends and family. He told to make sure I tried to continue my love of hunting and make a lot of memories and I feel like he is going to be along with me for this hunt. My best friend is also going along with me. Me and him have been hunting together for years and it will be really cool for him to be along as well for this experience. This trip is for my Dad and the memories !!

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Totally pumped for you. I've listened to so many podcasts and read so many forms and watched so many videos....Can't wait for my own adventure in the NWT 2020.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, those guys get some bruisers. Good luck and take lots of photos for us jealous sliders to look at.

Randy

Scottf270

WKR
I have hunted with Jim and Clay twice for moose. Just finalized a sheep hunt with them for 2021 in their North Camp. That sounds like where your headed. Superb people and beautiful country. You are in good hands. Enjoy!
I consider them my friends and we talk often. Tell them Scott Frakes "aka: Chipmunk" said hello. Take care.

Big338

FNG
Going with Jim Lancaster in 2021 as well for sheep and caribou. Been to Yukon for moose/grizzly and dall sheep”got a Fannin”, black bear, and wolf.

Can wait for 2021 just wish I could go every year!