Question about 5r mil spec in 300wm

Anybody use this rifle as an Elk rifle? My biggest concern is weight. I know heavy is good for recoil, but detrimental for packability. Can this rifle be kept at 11# or less with scope?
Pros, cons?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anybody use this rifle as an Elk rifle? My biggest concern is weight. I know heavy is good for recoil, but detrimental for packability. Can this rifle be kept at 11# or less with scope?
Pros, cons?

Ive only seen these used as target rifles, you might check out the sendero for hunting.

OP
M
Also looking at the long range in 30-06, or the Tikka T3X in same 30-06. Keep gravitating towards these stupid heavy rifles for hunting, tinking I can put a Manners or McMillan stock and lighten them up enough to make a good all round rifle.
Think I just need to stick with a Tikka.

Something like an xbolt long range might be a better compromise. Get the longer barrels with just mildly heavier contour.

If you are set on Remington, you can get 5r rifling in a lighter package Awr and a few others. My 300 WM awr is a shooter. Having said that, it clocks in at 10# scoped.

FWIW -I have recently bought a tikka 6.5 and been quite pleased. If I were doing the 300 WM over again I would have bought a tikka in lite stainless.

if I am going to pack it I want to be around 9lbs on the shoulder or less. I would look else where.

Definitely not set on a Remington.
They just happen to have 2 models I was comparing.

My remmy 300 awr is a shooter so far. I have an sps in 223 that performs as well. I have. 308 xcr that gives my grief and I can’t seem to get it shooting well. All have timmeny triggers but not much else done to them with the exception of the xcr which is a Project.

I have an older tikka 308 and a new 6.5. Both are light and shoot very well. As others have said, they feel a little cheap in the hand but they are light and make small small holes in paper. A 300 WM tikka is going to start at 6ish pound in lite version. You would be under 8 pounds with any reasonable scope and far cheaper with better shooting results based on my limited experience. I am going to spend the summer playing with my 6.5 If I still like as much as I do now, I could see more tikkas in my future.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not set on a Remington.
They just happen to have 2 models I was comparing.

In most cases, your gonna have to mod your Remington to shoot as well as the bone stock tikka. Most guys who are getting wicked accuracy out of a rem 700 have them bedded in an aftermarket stock with an aftermarket trigger, lots of times with a blue printed action etc etc.

That's what all is done to mine at least and it shoots really really well, about as good as my stock SAKO.

The most ridiculously accurate rifles I have seen shot with my own two eyes not internet message board here-say (a friend of a friend once told my uncle twice removed stuff) is the Tikka superlite stainless in 7RM. I have seen more than 5 of these rifles on a single day from 5 diff shooters group sub .75 MOA at 1093 yds (1km).

mac37

FNG
In most cases, your gonna have to mod your Remington to shoot as well as the bone stock tikka

If you can find a Manners stock to drop a Tikka in you would be very happy. These rifles come with great barrels and the actions are very true.

mac37

FNG
In most cases, your gonna have to mod your Remington to shoot as well as the bone stock tikka

If you can find a Manners stock to drop a Tikka in you would be very happy. These rifles come with great barrels and the actions are very true.
A simple spring kit makes the trigger awesome and eBay has the carbon fiber bolt knob (easy switch if you want a little larger handle). These actions are very smooth. Great value in a hunting rifle.

OP
M
Just had to explore all my options out there. Strongly leaning towards a Tikka. Now to pick a caliber and scope!

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 28" 5R light Palma bartlien in 300 RUM. 13# Rifle and I pack it everywhere out west.
I've found the little extra weight is worth it for forgiveness going long.

rootacres

WKR
You should be able to get a rem 700 AWR in 300 WM plus a scope and rings and keep it under 11lbs. . I am looking at the same combo myself. Good luck

Rolando

FNG
I have one, and it's a laser. It's also heavy. I've carried it for stationary whitetail hunting quite a bit, but it wouldn't be an ideal rifle to pack around.