Question About A Nice Ca. Buck

bigmoose

WKR
Here's a buck I was able to photograph for several years in the foothills. The first couple photos are when I think he was 2 1/2 years old. He's already a 4X4. The later photos are 4 years later. He's filled out and has his best set of antlers. This was the last year I found him.

Check out his face on the close up photo. Looks like some kind of hair slippage around his nose. Also, his right eye has something going on. You guys seen anything like this ? I've seen this on a tanned cape where the hair has slipped but not on a live animal.

2 year old r.JPG004r.JPGIMG_1544satr.JPGIMG_1544sattr.JPGIMG_1549r.JPG

bbkick25

FNG
He may have his nose up in a bird feeder or something similar trying to eat. Definitely have seen scars like that on Texas deer.

I would say from fighting. I have seen old whitetails scared up and even a eye knocked out like that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This belongs in the blacktail forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not so fast… He mentioned foothills so it’s VERY likely this is a hybrid buck. Just about all the foothill “black tails” when tested turn up as hybrids. Look at his tail shape, neck shape, and overall stature.

If he’s that close to golf courses and residence a lot of times they are sticking their nose into feed on things like bird feeders, corners of barn with hay, etc. The eye looks to be from a fight but could have easily stabbed himself with a garden tool or something sharp around the golf course.

OP
bigmoose

bigmoose

WKR
Yes, he's most likely a hybrid. He is a D5 buck that lived in the Pioneer area during the rut and winter. This was the only time of year I could find him.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say most California Mule deer are really hybrids. Generally if they are west of interstate 5 or the Sac River, they get classified as blacktail.