Question about buying Co. tags

Hey Guys,

I am looking into what units to hunt this year. I have several spots to check out. I have done some research on CPW and may have just overlooked it somewhere. My question is when I buy an otc archery elk tag for a certain unit what other units are included with that tag? Or is it just that specific unit? Does anybody have a link they can throw up here for me. Thanks

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
It's just an OTC tag. You can buy either sex or antlerless and as long as you have the tag, you can hunt the units that are open. The big game regs had a map in the elk section that breaks down the open units and any restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
FYI- make sure and bring your hunter ed card with you even if you're hunting archery.

A much easier option is before you get your tag printed head over to a CPW office with your hunter ed and ask them to verify it. This means that once done your tags will print a v next to your hunter ed number meaning the office has verafied your card and you will no longer be required to carry it too.

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
A much easier option is before you get your tag printed head over to a CPW office with your hunter ed and ask them to verify it. This means that once done your tags will print a v next to your hunter ed number meaning the office has verafied your card and you will no longer be required to carry it too.

Coming from out of state, I'm waiting for a time when I'm not driving by the offices at 2am..

OP
D
Thanks for all the info guys. I figured I overlooked it lol. I have my Hunter Ed. number is this good or do I need the actual original card? I swear i have done the homework. I hate to ask questions w/ obvious answers but I thought I read somewhere that if I had my hunter ed number I was good.

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys. I figured I overlooked it lol. I have my Hunter Ed. number is this good or do I need the actual original card? I swear i have done the homework. I hate to ask questions w/ obvious answers but I thought I read somewhere that if I had my hunter ed number I was good.

If you dont have it verafied by the cpw office you will need to have it with you at all times. The actual card is needed and not a photo from personal experince.

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot it last year and they do have a one year provision allowing for someone who doesn't have their card to hunt while accompanied by someone who does have their card. It was funny because I've been elk hunting for years and had to be accompanied by the guy I brought for his first elk hunt....

xziang

WKR
If you dont have it verafied by the cpw office you will need to have it with you at all times. The actual card is needed and not a photo from personal experince.

My experience the place I bought my tag from needed a HARD COPY of it. Didn't have to be the actual card just a photo copy of it or something that was on paper. Now that you can get your hunter ed card via computer and printed off at home I don't think it matters but I could be wrong this was just my experience. Give DNR a call to be 100% sure. I too would love to get 'validated' but pita for my location wish CO would offer certified letter or something to get this done.

**yes 5 yrs ago we were scrambling to download a fax application on a phone in order to send it to wallyworld for them to print out to make it legal**

xziang

WKR
Also back to your OG question, if I remember correctly Either Sex Tags will also allow you to hunt more units than just a OTC cow tag so keep that in mind if you have others going that just buy a Cow Tag.

This is a good time to apply for a duplicate card, then you can keep one in your wallet, and one in your gun/bow case. Don't wait, then have to scramble at the last minute when the demand will be high right before hunting season.

I need to find time to get by one of the offices as I have been carrying that "duplicate" hunter safety card since 2003. I need to track it down to make sure I still have it in my pack.

One less thing to worry about once you get it validated.

Or, just take it again. Oklahoma has an online one that takes 30 minutes(sad I know), so if I ever get in a pinch I can just take it and print the card.