Question About Cheek Scent Glands

Crusader

WKR
If one is going to use the gutless method to quarter a 'lope at the harvest site, is it necessary to do anything with the scent glands? And if so, where exactly are the glands?

Thanks in advance!

I know they have the eye scent glands which may be one in the same. Interested to hear from others.

When I did mine last time I hunted them, I didn't do anything with the head. I also didn't touch the head. I probably changed gloves after skinning the animal and I usually cut the legs off at the knee to keep the hoofs out.

My buddy just guts them and throws them in the cooler. I'm not sure i like that. At least gut, skin and remove head first.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If your going to take the whole head or cape it for mounting I would recommend doing that after you have finished gutless. Just keep away from the face and grab the horns if you need to move the head. Definitely wear gloves as the glands can be pretty stinky.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Thanks for the info. Greenhorn question I guess but I assume the does have the glands as well? And are the glands pre-orbital, in front of the eyes?

Thanks for the info. Greenhorn question I guess but I assume the does have the glands as well? And are the glands pre-orbital, in front of the eyes?
Not necessarily "greenhorn" … I've harvested at least 20 WY antelope and just a month ago found out about those "cheek" glands …. would have saved me a lot of grief