Question about Colorado draw

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I have searched this and I believe I know the answer, but want to be certain.

If I apply for an elk preference point as my first choice and then second choice as a unit that doesn’t many applicants, I will be awarded a preference point and could draw a tag in my second choice. Is this right?

And if that is right, is there a way to see what units that have a good chance of drawing as a second choice? I’ve looked at the past Colorado draw results, but not sure I’m looking at them right. For example, several units are lumped together with unit 11, and by looking at the secondary draw results, I can’t find the same codes, did they change?

Not looking for anyone’s spot or anything, I applied for a OTC unit for first rifle, but got thinking afterwards and was wondering if I could build a point and still draw a first season rifle tag.

sndmn11

WKR
OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, do you know if the codes changed from last year?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
6A6E165B-BDD1-4758-98E8-EA5C958F1B37.png
So in this unit, where it says drawn out at leftover, means there were more tags that applicants, right?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, this is what I thought, but wasn’t sure. Would I be able to change my application or is it too late?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, got it changed, threw me for a minute when it wanted me to checkout again, but got it figured out and changed. I appreciate the help.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Not to highjack the thread, but if I didn’t apply for a point do I get one if I don’t draw?
First time dealing with the Colorado draw. My OTC unit went draw.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Not to highjack the thread, but if I didn’t apply for a point do I get one if I don’t draw?
First time dealing with the Colorado draw. My OTC unit went draw.
You can likely have both if you submit your application properly.

cgasner1

WKR
If it was me I would go change that again and apply for a hard to draw hunt when you don’t draw you’ll still get your point on second choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
If it was me I would go change that again and apply for a hard to draw hunt when you don’t draw you’ll still get your point on second choice

Thats not the way to do it.

Years ago it was, but the CPW created a PP hunt code just for that reason.

Your archery elk application should look like this:

1st Choice - E-P-999-99-P
2nd Choice - E-M-80-o1-A

[PPs are only awarded on 1st Choices]

cgasner1

WKR
Thats not the way to do it.

Years ago it was, but the CPW created a PP hunt code just for that reason.

Your archery elk application should look like this:

1st Choice - E-P-999-99-P
2nd Choice - E-M-80-o1-A

[PPs are only awarded on 1st Choices]

Wouldn’t it be worth applying for whatever he plans on using that point on now and draw his second choice tag still get your point and tag more than likely. Worst case you draw a better tag earlier than expected since your already planning on buying a tag and hunting Colorado

cnelk

WKR
Wouldn’t it be worth applying for whatever he plans on using that point on now and draw his second choice tag still get your point and tag more than likely. Worst case you draw a better tag earlier than expected since your already planning on buying a tag and hunting Colorado

1- He never said he had any PPs

2- Thats what the Draw Stats are for - so a hunter has somewhat of an idea what can be drawn - with or without PPs

Elkhntr08

WKR
Account says I have 1 point and I’m not sure how I got that.
Have only hunted the same OTC unit since ‘13.

cgasner1

WKR
1- He never said he had any PPs

2- Thats what the Draw Stats are for - so a hunter has somewhat of an idea what can be drawn - with or without PPs

For the same money spent either way wouldn’t a guy rather have a .3 percent chance at a killer tag than just getting a preference point. I’m not trying to argue with you by any means you know 10x more about that state than I ever will

sndmn11

WKR
For the same money spent either way wouldn’t a guy rather have a .3 percent chance at a killer tag than just getting a preference point. I’m not trying to argue with you by any means you know 10x more about that state than I ever will

Colorado tags are not random draw (with one exception that is not applicable in this case). So if an applicant applied for a 5 point hunt code with less than 5 points, he has absolutely zero chance of drawing it. He surely could if he wanted to, but it would effectively be the same as using the preference point hunt code. Absolutely zero chance.

If he has 1 point, the only killer tags he has a chance at drawing are those that draw out at 1 point or less.