Question about Freebore and 300 WSM

BoiseDoc

FNG
I am about to chamber a 300 WSM barrel with the idea of a short rifle for do all western hunting. I see people talk about the .200 - .225 freebore and there is apparently a target reamer with .280 freebore. The SAAMI pic looks like the SAAMI spec freebore is .188. The two bullets I am currently considering are the 212 eldx which has a LONG bearing surface, .626 I believe and the 181 Hammer hunter with a bearing surface of about half of that. If I ever wanted to shoot factory bullets then I assume a long freebore would make most inaccurate. So I feel like I should either just go SAAMI spec or .200. If I actually throated the chamber for the 212 eldx boattoal base at the shoulder/neck junction then it would be a LONG freebore; more like the .280. Thoughts?? Do you just pick a bullet and do it?

amassi

WKR
Set your Freeborn to that eld, load a couple days rounds and send them to your gunsmith cutting the throat
Most factory bullets will shoot just fine out of a longer throat save for some berger and sierra bullets. Typical fodder like an accubond et el will shoot fine and some monos like barnes, hammer etc shoot better with a bit of jump

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like he said, pick what you are going to be shooting the most and build the rifle around that! Weatherby's have a huge amount of freebore and they still seem to shoot pretty well! You could always go the middle ground and do a .2 and just throw the ELD in the case a little further!

One other consideration on this is your mag length. If you are running in a short action, I would test the length you will be able to achieve before having it throated! Nothing worse than getting it back and then your rounds wont fit in your mag!

OP
BoiseDoc

BoiseDoc

FNG
Thanks to you both. It’s on a long action BAT. And the Mag is one of yours sir. XLR 300 RUM mag. No length restriction

amassi

WKR
Thanks to you both. It’s on a long action BAT. And the Mag is one of yours sir. XLR 300 RUM mag. No length restriction
Then I'd 100% build a eld-m dummy at the neck shoulder junction and send it to my Smith. Sounds like a cool build

Reactions: XLR
Then I'd2” 100% build a eld-m dummy at the neck shoulder junction and send it to my Smith. Sounds like a cool build

This is exactly what I ended up doing with badlands bd -195 in my XM action (3.2” COAL)